Chapter 45: The Mountains Part II

We scaled back up the mountain, heading more west than north so we could follow the trail that Ryder had wiped away after we agreed on the dirt drawing. The climb was hard and my beast hated it, but then again he hated both options.

We ran hard, the mud rubbing against my skin and making it tender. I made a mental note to wash it off in the river before we slathered more on. We wouldn't be technically in Jaxon's territory until we hit the treeline after the river, making us fair game on the neutral ground between the mountains and home.

Ryder and Becker led us over cliffs and up steep ridges until we started to see the day break again. We hadn't said a word to each other, not a word since we agreed on this route.

Becker looked over at the sun then tapped Ryder's shoulder. "We need to make camp for the day."

Ryder let out a tired breath and scratched at his hair that was caked with mud. "Alright. The trees?"

Becker looked around then smelled the air. "I smell water."

Ryder cocked a brow then stuck his nose in the air. He looked around until his eyes snapped to the right of him. "It's not far."

"What is it? A creek?"

Becker shook his head. "No, but we should go see. I don't know about you but I am thirsty as hell." Jaxon raised his brows, causing Becker to roll his eyes. "For water you idiot, if I wanted blood I certainly wouldn't be going for yours."

Jaxon grumbled while I looked back at Ryder. "Let's go Ryder."

Ryder nodded then jogged forward with us in line behind him. The land started to turn rockier; more steep, harsh, and jagged. We had to step carefully and make sure we didn't spill any of our own blood, leaving them a cookie-crumb trail to us.

The wind howled around us, it sounded like it was always showing. Howling out a song of haunting sadness that echoed the heartbreak in my chest.

We pushed forward; we moved slower, though. With the rough terrain, we couldn't go as fast as any of us would have liked–as I would have liked. Halfway to wherever Ryder was leading us, I questioned whether or not this plan was worth it; especially when we could hear the faint sounds of barking, causing us to burst into a full-fledged run that usually led to someone on their ass.

I was supposed to only be gone a week. Only a damn week. I growled inwardly at that the thought of her worrying. She couldn't link me. I wouldn't be able to link her for four more days.

Four more damn days.

My beast pushed back gently because he knew we couldn't think about that right now. It wouldn't help and besides, she was strong and she would be alright. Evan was there with her and I knew that she and him would hold the pack down just fine.

Ryder pushed back some bushes to reveal the opening of a cave. I sucked in a breath and pushed by the anxiety that flared up. Becker stepped forward and hissed; he hissed before he smelled the air again then looked at us. "There's water in there."

"There could also be rogues in there!" Deryl whisper hissed out.

"We need to make a decision," Ajax inserted. "Daybreak is coming and we are running out of darkness."

Becker stepped forward only to be stopped by Jaxon. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Going to see if there are rogues in that damn cave, just stay here," he growled out. He shoved Jaxon back then zipped forward before any of us could go after him.

Ryder gave Jaxon a sympathetic glance. "Give him a break, he lost his twin brother."

I stepped up next to Ryder and let my beast come closer. We smelled the air and we could smell the water, but we weren't sure if the water was hiding any other scents, like the scent of a few hundred sleeping rogues.