Chapter 39: Pack Woes

The first day Ethan left was the hardest day, or at least Derek assured me it would be. Derek had agreed to stay with me while Elliot was off in the east planning his trip which had Derek more than emotional.

Ethan had kissed me until I felt like my lips were raw in front of our house; murmuring to me how much he loved me and how he would come back soon; how I didn't need to worry, but my wolf did. I did. We both didn't like it at all, but we understood. 

We understood because for our pack, we had to find those rogues and we also knew that our mate was right. We wouldn't find them unless we actually physically found them and saw them with our own eyes; time was not our friend and we needed to move fast. 

Immediately after he disappeared in the tree line I went inside and cried on Evie's lap while demons of fear seemed to be hissing with satisfaction as they clawed at my insides.

He made it to the edge of the mountains, to the base before they had to ascend into northern territory find with the other alphas, Billy, Ryder, trackers from both Tikanni and Lilaq, three warriors from Tikanni, as well as two twin vampire runners of Alex's–Becker and Bailey. He had a good group, which made me feel better, but it still didn't make me feel great about it.

He linked me as soon as they made camp and told me that everything was fine, well other than that Billy wanted to beat the tar out of Jaxon, but other than that it was good. He told me again how much he loved me, how he missed me, and wouldn't be gone long–that I didn't need to worry. It was after that night that my nerves felt like they would eat me alive, it was when he went deeper into the mountains the next day.

When I tried to link him, when I felt the link dim in my mind is when I first thought I was going to suffocate. I tried for an hour to reach him and I felt like he was trying to find me; it was like someone was reaching out but they just couldn't grasp when it was that they needed. However, the bond was still strong, which made the situation a little better, better until it slightly dimmed.

Lyanna assured me it was the silver in the mountains; it apparently will throw all kinds of shit off and that I shouldn't worry. But I did. I did because if something happened I would have no way of knowing–no way unless I felt the mate bond break.

"Are you ready little sister?" Evan asked while I trotted down the stairs.

I smoothed out my navy t-shirt dress and nodded while a shaky breath escaped through my lips. Evan gave me a half smile then pulled me into a hug. "He's going to be fine, he's been up there before."

"I have a feeling about it Evan."

"I know," Evan replied. "But what choice do we have?"

I nodded. "Are you ready?"

He eyed me a little before he nodded his chin to the door. "Why don't we run in our fur, you look like you could use a good run?"

"I need more than just a run to the pack house," I muttered.

"We could go after the meeting? I need someone to help me check some borders with Ryder gone anyways."

"Ok," I replied before I walked outside.

My beast stirred as I pulled off my dress and folded it neatly so I could pick it up later. I took a few steps then jumped up and let her rip through my skin with a growl.

She landed on her paws while I sat back a hair, letting her have more time in her body that I knew she needed. She shook her fur out right as the wind combed through it then turned to pick up my dress carefully; she was always so considerate, she never let her tongue touch my clothes–just teeth.