23: Jar Of Pickles

"Hello?"  I say, just to make sure that I know who this is. 

"Elizabeth?"  Yup, I knew it.  It was my best friend Carly Schmidt. 

"Hi Carly!  Oh my gosh, how are you?"  I excitingly say, closing my other ear so I can hear. 

"I'm...alright.  I need to ask you a huge favor though."  She says. 

I walk back over to Ian's bed and sit down on the edge of it.  "What is it?"

"Well remember when you said that I can come up and live with you in New York once you graduate?"  She starts off. 

I have a feeling I know where this is headed.  "Yeah...?"  I slowly say, vaguely remembering me saying that. 

"Well I'm kind of in a pickle and I was wondering if I can take you up on that offer for a few months or so."  She says. 

"What kind of pickle?  What'd you do?"  I ask, warily looking at Ian who just shrugs at me.  I smile, glad to see that he's eating his soup.  That it wouldn't go wasted. 

"It's a lot to explain.  I'm telling you though, I'm in a jar of pickles.  That's how bad it is."  She responds back, not answering my question. 

I take it into consideration and blow out a big sigh.  "All right.  Well if I let you come live with me, would you tell me then?" 

"Oh definitely yes."  She says, I can tell that she's smiling through the phone just by the octave change in her voice. 

"Okay.  Let me know when you're about to leave Florida."  I say. 

"I uh, am already at JFK.  My flight just landed about fifteen minutes ago."  She explains. 

I frown at the tv and groan.  "And you're just springing this on me now?" 

"Yes and I'm really sorry.  I owe you a huge favor and I'll make it up to you for this inconvenience of timing."

I take a long moment to respond back.  I'm looking at the tv, but not watching it.  I love Carly and everything, but for her to spring something like that on me is just not right.  But on the other hand, I need a companion in my apartment.  A roommate.  I'm too young to be living on my own completely.  I also wouldn't mind having someone to dish stories out to and talking about boys and all the good stuff. 

"Elizabeth?"  Carly says, interrupting my thoughts. 

"Yes I'm still here.  So do you need me to pick you up or do you think you can find a taxi?"  I ask. 

"I think I'll be good with a taxi."  She answers.  I hear her step outside the noisy airport where there's even louder noise with people honking their cars and picking and dropping people off. 

"Okay good.  I'll text you my address and I'll see you soon." 

"Thank you so much.  I love you."   Carly says. 

"No problem and love you too."  I reply back. 

I hang up the phone and send her my address and then throw my phone in my purse.  I look at Ian and notice how he's already done with his soup and crackers.  That man eats like his life depends on it. 

"Who was that?"  He asks.  I cuddle up next to him and breathe in his amazing scent. 

"My best friend Carly.  I'm letting her live with me for a while and she's already at JFK."  I answer.