4

Second period English was the most boring class I had ever had. But I had rather stayed for a few more minutes than get stuck up at my locker by none other than Jake. He leaned against the open side of my locker, smirking. "Hey, Mary. What're you up to?"

I scowled, but didn't even look at him as I switched out my books. I stepped back and closed my locker. Before I could step away, his arm wrapped around my waist, pulling my back to his chest. His breath was at my ears as I searched around frantically for Destiny. "I want you to meet me outside at lunch."

I shook my head immediately. His fingers tightened on my hips, and my hands shook and my palms became sweaty. "Meet me outside at lunch." He demanded. I squeaked, hoping he would take it as a yes, and scurried away from him.

I was still shaking when I sat down in third period. The desk in front of me jolted as he sat down. I glanced up, expecting to see Jake, but instead Josh smiled back at me. I breathed a sigh of relief and smiled. "Hey!" he said. "I didn't realize we had another class together."

In the middle of Josh's sentence, my wolf interrupted, saying, I know! You can call me J! There's a lot more kids with the initial J than I realized.

How can I hear you, J?

I like it, yes! You let your guard down. It may have something to do with that new kid… do you have eyes for Josh already? He snickered.

I blushed deeply and Josh raised an eyebrow, which made me blush even more. Hey!

So you do? He chuckled.

No—well…—no! Of course not. I haven't even said a word to him. He's just cute, that's all.

'Oh those amazing eyes!' he mocked.

I protested, I do not sound like that!

"Joshua! Can you please come up here?" Mrs. Cadwell asked. He nodded and went to stand in the front of the class. Is there any way we can talk without you hearing my thoughts?

If you spoke to me, then yes.

I put my head down as she introduced Joshua to the class, although everyone knew about him. I'm sorry, I whispered, trying hard to not remember anything.

How 'bout I meet you in the woods after school? Same spot where we met.

Our spot. Sounds great! But I thought you wanted me to forget you.

That's basically impossible now, Danny. You know me as a human, you see me every day. I trust you not to tell anyone.

You… trust me? I asked slowly as Josh made his way back to his seat.

I kinda have to. Friends trust each other, right?

I closed my eyes and smiled, but then frowned. Not all the time.

What, you don't trust a wolf? He joked.

I have issues with that.

Ah, I see. It's okay, I'll get through to you eventually, and I know it.

I hope so, J.

Glad to finally have something to call me? He asked.

I don't know. 'My wolf' is growing on me.

I am yours, Danny, I promise. He said, sounding like there was a hidden meaning inside.

And don't you forget it.