Chapter 28.

"I'm taking you out after school, babe," Zayn smiles at me, linking our hands together as both of us sit at the back of our maths class, listening to Mr. Friar lecture Jeremy for eating food in between the ongoing class.

I put an effort in opening my eyes as I look up at Zayn, and then rest my head on his shoulder, sleepily. I had an extra shift yesterday at work since Niall had some emergency and didn't come to work for three days. However, with that I have been studying the whole time last night for my History's test. I've been managing in every class not to doze off but it's becoming really hard for me now.

Zayn continues to talk to me but I have no clue what he is saying because I'm putting up all of my energy in trying to stay awake and not get detention. I really want to go back home and sleep which would be impossible since Aunt Georgia's friends are coming over and I have to make arrangements for them.

"Love, are you even listening to me?" Zayn whispers and I open my eyes quickly, looking up at him. I scoot away from him and bring my index finger and thumb towards my eye, trying to open my eye and look at him.

"I'm so sorry. Can you come again?" I say, feeling my eyes shut but then I quickly open it up when I hear Zayn give out a sigh.

"Nothing," he mumbles, his eyebrows knitted together as he scoots further away from me and leans in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest as he pretends to listen to Mr Friar.

"Zayn, I'm sorry I dozzed off for a while. I'm really tired. Tell me what were you talking about?" I enquire, placing my hand on his arm. He still doesn't look at me and sits with a slightly pissed off face.

"Why don't you leave your job if it's making you this much tired? You can barely open your eyes and you look like a fucking zombie." He objects and I tilt my head, quirking my eye brow as I quietly stare at him.

"That job is the only way I can manage my expenses." I point out, giving him a 'duh' face. He rolls his eyes and I shake my head to myself at his behaviour. "Tell me now what you were talking about."

"Doesn't matter." He mutters.

"It does."

He takes a deep breathe, letting his head fall behind, before lifting it back and looking over at me. "I was planning to take you out today after school," he says nonexcitingly. Ignoring my exhausted and tired state, I bring a smile on my face and begin to agree when it hits me that I have work to do for Aunt Georgia's get together.

A frown finds it's way on my face and Zayn notices it. His expressions harden as he looks over at me. "And now you have another excuse for it?" He asks me sternly, looking away from me.

I raise my eyebrow at his tone as I grab his arm to make him look back at me. He manages to look at me with stern expressions which somewhat offend me.

Does he think that I don't want to spend time with him?

"It's not my fault that my aunt needs me today for her tea party or whatever at her home! I'm exhausted, but I would be working my butt off instead of taking rest and you think I'm making excuses?" I lash out. I feel righteous right now, but it got one advantage that I'm able to open my eyes and speak properly now. I feel my sleep vanishing for a while.

"I have been trying to spend some time with you for the past three days and you have been continuously coming up with excuses!" He argues in a hushed voice since we are in middle of a class. I stand up from my seat once I hear the period bell go off and shake my head to myself.

"I don't even know what's gotten into your head that you are behaving like this. I don't want to argue anymore. I have no energy to do that." I say, carrying my bag as I throw it over my shoulder and begin to leave but he grabs my wrist firmly, making me turn to look at him.

"That's all you got? Walk away? I thought you were capable of talking." He says, getting up from his seat, his hand still around my wrist as he stares at me with stern expressions.

"I don't want to fight with you over some small issues, Zayn." I speak calmly this time, placing my other hand on top of his as I give it a firm squeeze and slowly remove his hand from mine while he quietly stares at me. "I have to go, I'm getting late for my class."

"But you and I have a free period right now." He says, squinting his eyes.

"I have to take an extra class to catch up with my physics work. I'm behind in it." I quietly say, watching as his jaw clenches and he steps away from me.

"Cool." He says sarcastically and I let my head fall back, groaning at his behaviour.

"Zayn, I'm sorr-"

"You're getting late for your class, Maire. You should go. Don't waste your time on me. I'm not worth it." He says, as he steps forward, brushing past my shoulder as he walks away from the class with a scowl on his face. He didn't even stop when I called out his name.

Last thing I wanted to do was dissappoint him.

▪▪▪▪

My whole day yesterday was tough and tiring. I got no calls or texts from Zayn the whole day. He was quiet the whole drive when he dropped me at home back from school. Even when I texted or called him, his replies were so dry and forceful, so I stopped bugging him. Due to the stormy weather, we have been given off from our school today. Which was a plus point for me and I was finally able to sleep properly. Aunt Georgia decided to leave with one of her friends yesterday and hasn't come back yet. Her absence granted access to the twins to party, so both of them left the house after their mother's departure. Amber has still not returned from last night, she might be at one of her friends or some football player of our school. While Tyler is suffering from a hangover in his room. So for once, I had peace in my life and slept as much as I wanted to.

I tried to call Zayn as soon as I woke up but his phone was switched off so I couldn't contact him which made me worried since he is always glued to his phone and it's never shut off. However, I still have to go to work today and I hope on meeting Niall as I have no clue what happened suddenly to make him disappear for four days.

I walk inside the clinic, keeping my umbrella on the side of the room as I take off my coat and hang it on the stand. I notice a familiar coat hung on the stand and I walk to the reception to find a blonde guy sitting there with his head bowed down on the table. He lifts up his head once he hears my footsteps  and the blue eyes meet my brown ones. The shade of his eyes looks darker, his eyes swollen and red with bags under them. He looks sleepless and as if he has been crying for days. My eyebrows knitt in confusion as I feel concerned.

"Hey, Maire." His voice comes out low, barely audible.

"What's wrong Niall?" I ask him with worry.

He gets up from the seat as he walks over to me. I notice his eyes becoming glossy but he quickly bows his head, making me more concerned. "Niall, tell me. I'm worried." I request.

He lifts up his head slowly, a tear streaming down his face as he speaks up, "My mum...I lost her." He quickly turns his back on me as a sob escape from his lips and I gasp. I feel my heart ache watching him cry. I quickly turn him over and wrap my arms around him.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry to hear that, Ni." I console as he rests his head on my shoulder, silently crying. I patt his back, trying to comfort him as he cries in my arm.

I try to quiet him down for minutes, staying in the same position, feeling my shirt getting wet because of his tears but I make no objection.

"What the fuck is happening here?!" I hear a familiar voice shout from the enterance, causing Niall and I to quickly pull back from each other.

~*~

DO you think what Maire is doing is right or are you team Zayn?

Please vote, each one of it counts in making my book famous amongst you people because it used to have 400 reads in 2 days. Now it barely gets 200 reads in 4 days which makes me discouraged. :(

I have a test tomorrow lol haven't studied anything, have been working on the updates. Pray that I don't get killed tomorrow in my school.

Double update? ;)