Chapter Seven

"That's him!"

Feet pounding on cement, we flew down the streets. James grip on my arm tightened as the two men appear in front of us. We make a sharp left turn, diving into another alley.

"Don't make me shoot!" called out Joey.

We stopped in our tracks, turning around slowly. My chest heaved up and down as I tried to satisfy my lungs.

"Hand over the boy..."

I scanned the area, my eyes flickering everywhere trying to find an escape. The guns smooth metal glinted in the moon light, it's barrel pointed straight at us.

"You see... I can't do that..." James laughed.

Grabbing my shoulder, he pulled my body against his. I screamed as a sharp pain, followed by the feeling of hot blood running down my neck over came me.

***

I narrowed my eyes in defiance, refusing to give him the satisfaction of hearing me scream and cry out in pain. "Don't look at me like that...this training will make you into a better man."

My lower lip began to quiver as I watched him clean his favorite tools, getting them ready for use. The taste of copper spilled over my tastebuds as I bit the insides of my cheeks. Father looked back up at me, eyebrows raised. "Very well then...have it your way..."

***

James held a knife to my jugular, the silver tip poked into my skin.

"Jason is coming with me," he announced and we started to step backwards, away from them. Tears fell down my cheeks as the traumatizing memories came back to me. I began to shake uncontrollably, which made James hold on me tighten.

Please...stop! Get that thing away from me...please... I wanted to cry out and push James away from me, but my body went into shock, making me lifeless, unable to do anything.

We had only just left the alley when two cars pull up along the sidewalk. A tall man, wearing shades exited the first car.

"We were chased by two guys from Black Talons."

"Did you lose them?"

" Nope, their in the ally somewhere..."

The man nodded then looked me over, sizing me up. "Whats wrong with the kid?" James removed the knife from my neck and stretched as if he had been sitting hunched over a desk for hours.

"Don't know, don't care." James said, his voice flat with boredom. The sound of his creaky bones finelly poping made my skin crawl.

Without the body support from James, I collapsed to the ground, scared. Curling up into a ball, tried to protect myself, from my memories...from my reality...

"I can't believe the boss hired scum like him. He sold his body to project E!"

"I heard he's a failed experiment and that he's the only survivor..."

I felt ill...

Project E?

At the sound of a whistle more men got out of the cars.

I was surrounded.

"Get him off the ground!" said the man in charge.

In seconds large hands wrapped around my biceps, pulling me off the floor. I jerked away violently, ripping my arms free. My escape was quickly put to an end as I was tackled to the concrete.