20. Stay

Sweat drops were running down Hamdan's forehead, his t-shirt was sticking to his chest and back as he got off the treadmill. He went downstairs to the first floor at NAS, drying his face with a towel to find Saeed Hilal sitting at a table reading the newspaper.

"Is everything ready for tonight?" Hamdan asked.

Saeed nodded. "All set, sir."

"Good. You can go home after you drop Sarah off."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, spend some time with your family. I'll call you Saturday," Hamdan opened a bottle of water and took a sip. The car parking on the driveway caught his attention. "What's he doing here?"

Saeed looked over his shoulder.

"You're early." Hamdan stated to his uncle as he stepped into the building.

"Yes, your father wants to see you in one hour." The Sheikh replied, shaking hands with Saeed.

"What about?" Hamdan wondered.

Uncle Saeed pressed his lips together and quietly sat down.

It took one moment before Hamdan figured it out. "Really?"

His uncle remained silent, getting a hold of a piece of newspaper Saeed had set aside.

Hamdan took a step closer. "Why?" He demanded with open arms. "You've never made such a big deal about other girls."

Saeed brought the newspaper up, covering his face entirely.

Uncle Saeed scratched his forehead. "Because of how you responded when I confronted you. You care. Too much."

Unbelievable. You care too much so let's make sure nothing happens.

Hamdan scoffed and turned around. "I'll take a shower."

The doors to his father's office at Zabeel Palace were promptly opened for him by two members of the security team. Sheikh Mohammed was sitting behind his L-shaped mahogany desk with gold leaf gilding.

"Hamdan," he greeted his son, glancing up and then back down to the papers he was signing.

Hamdan walked behind the desk and kissed the emir on the cheek.

"Sit," his father invited.

Hamdan sighed and took a sit in one of the two dark leather chairs in front of the desk. He waited resting his elbows on his knees.

"So..." Sheikh Mohammed finally began addressing Hamdan, putting the papers in front of him away and reaching for two yellow folders. He opened the first one up and started reading. "Sarah Grace Anderson. Born July, 3rd 1990 in Austin, Texas. Only daughter to Patrick and Brianna Anderson"

Hamdan stood up. "What's that?" He questioned, taking the folder away.

He started going through the pages. Every piece of information about Sarah was in there; immigration documents, drivers license, a briefing of her endurance career  including every ride she participated in even records from The American School of Dubai. One piece in particular made him stop.

"Grades from high school?" He asked, holding the sheet up. "Was this necessary?"

"Yes, it was," the emir replied, reclining on his chair.

Hamdan closed the folder, put it back on the desk and sat down. "Just tell me what you found out about her that is so terrible."

"Nothing. She appears to be a very decent girl, same thing with her parents," Sheikh Mohammed noted, opening the second folder in front of him.