54. Always

Hamdan opened his eyes wide at the impressive display of diamond rings in front of him, each one bigger than the one before. They were tuck in between velvety pillows in the briefcase the jeweler's assistant opened up for him. The morning sun rays coming through the window of the majli at Hamdan's home, made the precious stones twinkle like the stars on the darkest night sky.

"See anything you like?" The jeweler wondered.

Karim was a middle age man with quite the interesting style. His hair was puffy and too dark to be a natural black color, he wore shades at all times and was always dress in a dark suit and an open-collar shirt. The golden ring on his pinky finger was another signature on his never changing fashion. Over the years, he became Hamdan's go-to whenever he was looking for an special gift for his mother or sisters. Recently, all of his acquisitions had been for Sarah; the ruby earrings, the costume made bracelet and now an engagement ring.

"They're beautiful but I'm not sure..." Hamdan hesitated.

"I can sense your highness is not pleased." Karim shifted on his chair next to the coffee table in front of Hamdan. "Perhaps you were looking for something a bit more sizable?"

Hamdan's jaw dropped. "Are there rings bigger than these ones?"

Karim took his phone out from the inside of his jacket. "It would take a few phone calls--"

"No, no! I don't want bigger."

The jeweler slowly put his phone back and angled his head.

"I want something..." Hamdan continued, searching for words, he wanted the ring to be like Sarah. "Different."

"Unique!"

"Yes!"

With a simple hand gesture one of the assistants closed the briefcase on the table and another replaced it with a smaller one.

"This collection of rings is exactly that; unique." Karim explained. "Each ring is rare in a different way whether it is because of their cut, color or overall quality."

Karim's continued with his lecture on diamond technicalities and his voice started to fade out as Hamdan concentrated on the pieces before him, feeling he was getting close to the perfect ring for Sarah. And then, he saw it. Everything around him blurred out and all he could see was the stunning diamond with the same feeling he had the first time he laid eyes on her. He found it. He just knew.

"This one." He said while holding the ring close for a better look.

"That one in particular is a vintage Marquise cut diamond, extraordinary."

"Vintage?"

"Yes, from the Edwardian era, circa 1915. The center piece was graded D in color and has flawless clarity. In simple words; it is perfect. Is set on platinum and adorned with single cut diamonds."

Hamdan could not help to smile imagining Sarah's reaction at a one-hundred-year-old ring. "It is perfect." He agreed. "Can you find me the history of this ring? Where has it been all these years? Who used to own it?"

"I can track it down." Karim nodded.

"Whatever it takes, I need to find out. It's important."

After closing the deal on the ring, he and Saeed headed to the hospital. While Saeed drove, Hamdan texted Tom to find out who was with Sarah. Tom and the girls were planning on visiting during the afternoon, meaning that only her parents were there. Hamdan preferred things that way, so he could meet them and try his best to behave as Sarah's concerned boss and nothing more. The presence of her friends would make that a lot more difficult.