49. Resignation

The work schedule was leaving Hamdan worn out. The days before Ramadan were always busier and his lack of focus was not helping. Sarah had not left his mind, even though her texts and phone calls had stopped since the last time he saw her. He was lost again, paralyzed by fear, something he was not used to and was not sure how to overcome.

During his lunch break, he made a last minute call to the guys for a fishing trip, thinking it would help him get his ideas in order. He invited them over to spend the night at one of his boats, so they could be ready early the next morning. They seemed particularly excited, since he had been blowing them off for the past few days.

By the time the helicopter dropped them off on the yacht, the sun was setting and he was exhausted. He paused to look at the orange sky over the sea and posted a picture of the scenery before going to his suite. He was not planning on staying there, but could not gather the energy to put on a smile and walk back out. AJ texted him, saying dinner was ready, but Hamdan told him he was going to bed without eating. His dinner was reduced to an apple from the fruit bowl in his room and a bottle of water.

He dozed off pretty quickly afterwards and slept thoroughly until the same dream about Sarah in the desert woke him up. He glanced at his phone, it was past 5 a.m. As usual, he waited for his breathing to go back to normal and rolled out of bed. His damped undershirt went to the hamper and he stepped outside to watch the sunrise. Leaning against the rail on the spacious front deck , he took his phone and started going through her pictures one more time as the first sun rays of the day heated up his back. He did not know what he was even doing anymore, there was no getting over her. He needed Sarah back but something still seemed to be off. Either he could ask her again, although he felt it was going to be a fruitless task, or he had to find a way to let it go.

"Good morning!" Ali Essa, his personal photographer, smiled with a camera hanging from his neck.

Hamdan turned the screen off and put the phone back in his pocket. "Good morning."

"I thought I was going to be the first up!" Ali said.

"Actually, I'm going back to my room. I'm not in the mood for fishing anymore."

Ali's smile was replaced with a frown. "Why?"

"It's fine," Hamdan affirmed. "Tell everyone to go without me."

"Are you sure?"

Hamdan nodded, patted Ali on the shoulder and strolled back to his room. He took a long shower, with him simply standing under the warm water most of the time. Things were not going to get any easier, finding a way to leave his fears and doubts behind was the only option. He changed into a plain white t-shirt and grey sweatpants and plopped onto the bed face down. He kept looking at his phone every time it chimed, hoping to get something from her, but everything was work related. He turned on his back, opened Sarah's chat and thought about what to say.

How are you?

"What a stupid question..." He mumbled, deleting the words.

Perhaps their simple hi could work. Taking a deep breath, he typed the two letters, his thumb hovering over the send button.

Maybe I should call her instead...

He was interrupted by a message from Salem. He did not get those often and feeling so torn about what to do with Sarah, he decided to open it.

Salem
Are you busy? Call me when you have the chance. It's about Sarah.

Hamdan sat on the bed with a pounding heart and called him right away.

"Hamdan!" The manager answered from the other side of the line.

"What's going on?" He urged.

"Well, I have Sarah's resignation letter in my hand."