32. | a familiar cry

"What do you mean he's not my biological father?" I choke out, sitting on the tip of my chair and hanging onto every word Daniel, Ethan's father, is speaking

I am exhausted. I am exhausted of not being the narrator of my own life. No one really is, I am aware of that. But at least most people know what the fuck they're dealing with.

I don't know what I am doing, I don't even know who I am at this point. Is there truly nothing I know that has been correct from the beginning? Maybe even my name is a fucking lie. Everything is a lie, it seems like, so why would I be surprised if that was the case?

"I'm sorry, it wasn't my place to tell you." He leans back a little, seeming a little distraught.

"I don't care about you being the one to tell me, I need to know how you know all this. Who told you this? Who's my biological father then?" I start bringing up questions, Ethan remaining silently by my side. He appears to be just as confused.

Daniel rubs the stubble on his chin, a familiar frown forming between his brows. "I wouldn't be able to tell you who that would be, I wasn't close with your parents. We just knew each other from high school, that's all. I'm sorry, I would like to help but I can just say you two do most definitely not share a half-brother. The kid was Ethan's older half-brother, not yours. Your father is someone else, I just wish I could tell you who but I'm afraid that's something only your mother and Ryan know."

Is it true? Is Ryan not my biological father? I mean, I guess I should be somewhat relieved. I'm not attached to him because he's a loving father, obviously. But I'm confused, I can't seem to find and grasp onto a reason why I wasn't told this before. Why did no one ever tell me this? If he's not my father, then who is? Is he alive? Is he a loving person? Does he know he has a living breathing adult of a daughter wandering around to find her mother's murderer? Who was my mother to him?

More importantly, did my mother know? It seems almost impossible for her to not know, we've been living as a family, me as their only child, or so I thought, for so many years. But then again, Sara doesn't know the real father of her first child either. Is it possible, in some wicked way, for both of our mothers to be sharing parts of the same sick fate? I wouldn't wish that upon either of them.

"Is my—" I inhale sharply, trying to find proper words to form this next sentence that makes me sick to my stomach. I know what I want the answer to be, I'm afraid of the answer I don't want to hear, but might. Everything's shit. "Is my mother my real mother? Or am I, am I adopted or something?"

Daniel quickly nods, making me wonder which question he's nodding an answer to until he explains. "Yes, she is. You're walking around looking exactly like how she looked when she was a teen. I remember hearing she gave birth to you, I can tell you that."

I'm not convinced, but I'll take it for now. I think anyone in this situation would become totally paranoid. I need to see more childhood photo's, videos and hell, even my birth certificate, to be sure at least that is true.