9. | his little gesture

Closing my notebook and grabbing all my stuff, I let out a sigh of relief

Closing my notebook and grabbing all my stuff, I let out a sigh of relief. It's finally time to get some lunch.

Today is Thursday. I haven't seen or spoken to Ethan since our last conversation and I got way too used to the flow of working here daily that I barely got time to speak to Cole as well.

Today is supposed to be a quite enjoyable day. Lexi finally accepted to apply here as a nurse student, after me begging every single day. She just gave in to get me to shut up about it and I'm not complaining.

Smiling at the thought of having her by my side most days of the week, I turn the doorknob to leave the room.

"Boo!" Someone yells right into my face, which causes me to let out a shriek. I come face to face with none other than her.

"Damn it, Lexi. Couldn't you just knock on the door?" I bring my hand up to my heart as I laugh and pull her in for a tight hug.

"You know I like making an entrance." She hugs me back, "Girl, let me breathe." She laughs as she pulls away from my squeezing.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in ages." I mumble as I let go of her.

"You got a point though. Ever since you started here, you barely had time for me. But now, it's time for change. I never thought I'd be this excited to be in a prison." She mirrors my excitement while curiously peeking into the room behind me.  "Oh, this place definitely needs a huge make-over."

Nodding at this to show her how I wholeheartedly agree, I grab her hand and mumble "C'mon, let's get some lunch and then I'll show you around while we catch on."

We walk through the hallway to the canteen of the guards. We end up sitting down on a table in the corner.

"I'll get us some food." I tell Lexi as I leave her behind and get us both a tuna salad with two bottles of water. A I start walking back, I see Reed and Lexi engaged in what seems like a brief first conversation. I put the plates on the table and look at them curiously and slightly confused.

After what went down between Reed and Ethan three days ago, I did everything in my power to not run into him. This time he didn't try to get close to me either, probably sensing my recent trust issues towards him.

There's clearly an unpleasant tension between the two of us and eventually Reed interrupts the silence.

"Hey." He mumbles as he turns to me, seeming to have become slightly nervous. I just reply by conjuring yet another forced smile on my face and sit down, ready to dig into my lunch. Reed starts fidgeting with his keycard, unsure of what to do or say next.

"I guess I'll see you both around. " he says, offering Lexi a smile and avoiding to look at me as he turns around and quickly strides away.

"Yeah, walk away. " I mumble to myself, taking a bite of my salad.