28. | a tight embrace

"Surprise?" Ethan shrugs with a grin plastered on his face while opening his arms for me

"Surprise?" Ethan shrugs with a grin plastered on his face while opening his arms for me. I do not waste any time as I take a quick step forward and let his arms pull me into a tight embrace.

"Are you even real?" I poke him as I begin rambling into his chest, "because you could just be another hallucination from the weird pills they've been making me take."

"I know I look like a dream," he begins exaggerating, "But I promise I'm real."

"Somehow, you always manage to compliment yourself," I continue, laying my head against his hard chest, "I can't believe this is happening. I thought it would take a lot more work to get you out but here you are, with me in your arms. This must be a dream, there's no w—"

"You're so cute." He interrupts with a chuckle, the rumble in his chest sending shivers down my spine as he slightly tightens his hands around my waist. My heartbeat responds to him as his fingertips touch the skin that is exposed under my shirt.

"Am not." I reply with a pout tainting my lips as I tilt my head back slightly to face him.

"Yeah?" His answer comes out as a mere breath and his gaze drops to my lips.

"Yeah." I breathe out, my heart nearly beating out of my chest as my eyes get locked into the mesmerizing green forest that are his eyes. Even more now, I want to discover every branch of every single tree, even if that means tumbling over my feet and cutting my hands along the way. I want Ethan to be the one to help me with the wounds, while I help him with all that I have.

I want him to be the one.

And I don't think I've ever wanted anyone this badly in my entire life.

One of his hands leave the warm tingling mess that is apparently my waist, only to be lifted to my face. His thumb slowly grazes my cheek, dropping to my jawline and chin. The second his fingers touch my lips, my breathing hitches. As the nerves get the best of me and the tension in the air grows thick, I involuntarily sink my teeth into my bottom lip.

"Don't." He chokes out with a hoarse voice, "Please, don't do that."

"Why?" I whisper back with a barely audible voice.

"Because else," he inches closer as he whispers, "I won't be able to stop myself from what will happen next." His warm breath hits my face as he inches dangerously close, my eyes following his tongue darting out to wet his lips.

I gather the courage as I finally manage to choke out the words I've been suppressing for way too long.

"Then don't stop, Ethan."

His eyes lighten up as he takes my flushed face into his palms, our chests flushed against each other, hearts beating rapidly in sync, creating a melody I've never heard before.

"I need you to know..." He mumbles, placing soft kisses all over my cheek, but never on my lips. "I want to go slow, very slow. We don't have to hurry." His thumb follows his kisses.