11 - Amber

Song of the chapter - Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benetar

His hand felt warm, cradling mine as we drove to who knows where. I honestly didn't care where he was taking me, I was just glad that he was finally letting his guard down and allowing this to happen. Allowing us to happen. My fingers curled around his, holding on to the feeling that I had, now that we were together like this. Close, alone.

The shock I got on Monday when he came and sat next to me, almost touching me, was unreal. He had looked amazing, walking in dressed for court. His hair had been styled in that semi spike at the front, rather than just having run his fingers through it. He wore tailored dark brown pants, not a rip in sight, paired with a tan dress shirt. But what caused my mouth to go completely dry was the suit vest he wore, fitted and buttoned up, even hours later. My eyes had moved across his form all on their own, and then I was so embarrassed at how I had blatantly stared at him. I worried that he would avoid me after that, not wanting to get too close to the crazy girl stalking him.

But he came and sat down next to me, even allowing his leg to touch mine. I was a nervous wreck, worried that it would end badly as it had before. Then Garrett let his hand linger close to me, touching me gently. And I knew. He was okay, he wouldn't run away this time. So I relaxed and allowed his essence to seep into me, silently telling me that he was ready.

The week couldn't pass by fast enough. Each day moved slower than the day before, and I couldn't breathe waiting for Thursday night. It finally arrived, we were finally together, and it was more than I could have hoped for. We had hardly pulled away from my house and his hand was already wrapped around mine.

"Are we getting close?" I wondered out loud ten minutes into our drive.

I sensed Garrett smirk slightly, "Hmmm, maybe." Then he laughed a little.

"Wow! You are really being secretive about this!" I couldn't believe how strange it seemed, Garrett trying to be so cliche with this date. It seemed so unlike his personality. But I guess I was still getting to know his lighter side.

"What can I say. I just really want to see your reaction when we get there." This time he looked over to me and smiled, rather than smirked.

I could certainly get used to this side of Garrett.

A few minutes later we pulled into a parking lot of some kind of business office. Which was closed. Garrett parked his car and started to get out. I was confused to say the least, but I went ahead and got out of the car as well.

"Oh shit! Sorry! I should have come around and opened that for you," Garrett apologized.

"No, that's fine, I didn't expect you to," I reassured him.

Garrett walked over to me, closer than I thought he would, our height difference becoming even more clear as he looked down at me. He was mere inches from me, his body heat warm against my cheeks, my arms. My breathing became shallow, my entire being effected by him.

"That's what the guy's supposed to do, take care of the girl," he said quietly. "I'm just trying to get used to that role, with you."

I took in a breath, amazed at his confession. Where did this Garrett come from? I guess I needed to stop being so surprised each time he did something like that.

"So," I started, changing the topic to one more casual, "what is this place?" I looked around and didn't see anything that resembled a typical date location. In fact, there wasn't anything at all, just some kind of office that was dark for the night.

Garrett moved over to the trunk of the car, opening it and removed a blanket and a cooler. "Follow me and you'll see." He stuck his elbow out and I linked my arm through his, just as April and I were in the habit of walking now. Just like Garrett and I had walked for a split second when he took me to the Warehouse and told me about Lisa.