Chapter 14 - Vodka under the stars

Lilith

Tired from another day of work, the girl sighed as she stepped into her building. It had been a few days since Spencer was working full time on his case, so she didn't want to bother him.
She took out her key, and inserted it in the lock to her letter box. To her surprise, she found a tiny packet, resting at the centre. A note with scribbled handwriting was attached to it and it read,

"Lilith,

Thank you for all your help on this case. I saw this while on my trip, it made me think of you. Hope you like it.

Spencer"

A wide smile grew on the girl's face as she saw the gift of the doctor.

2 weeks later

Garcia

The technical analyst nearly jumped as she heard the ringtone of her telephone. She picked up, her voice showing signs of anger.

"Whoever this is, you just interrupted a really good game of Kingdom of Knights! I hope this is good!"

"Hey, it's Ezra."

Penelope immediately warmed up to the woman on the other end.

"Oh my sweet baby Jesus! It's been such a long time! How are you?"

"I'm good, and you? I've really missed you. The reason why I'm calling is actually quite simple; I was thinking of throwing a party, and I really wanted you to be there. You can bring some friends if you like."

"That sounds fantabulous! I will drag my coworkers if I have to!"

The two women giggled.

Spencer

Reid truly despised parties. The noise, the people, the smells. Everything made him uncomfortable. Parties were more a Garcia or Morgan thing. If it wasn't for her begging, he wouldn't have come. In fact, he was starting to regret his decision. As he pushed through the crowd to find a less crowded spot, in the corner of his eyes, he saw a dash of light blue. Had he hallucinated? He turned around. No one.

Spencer felt a light tap on his shoulder.

"Hey!"

"Lilith? What are you doing here?"

"I'm friends with Ezra, the girl who organised the party. What are you doing here?"

"I'm here with Garcia. Ezra's friend."

The girl nodded, holding her cup of beer in her hand.

"How are you liking the party?"

"It's fine." Spencer said, perhaps too quickly.

Lilith squinted at the doctor, and gave one of her signature smirks.

"Wanna get out of here?" She asked.

"Oh my God, yes, please."

***

The rooftop was a clear area, although the air was freezing. The two had a great picture of the city, as well as a stunning view on the night sky. Lilith laid down on the cold cement as Spencer followed her, lying down a couple of feet away from the girl.

They were now taking sips from the bottle of vodka that Lilith had stolen from the party. Spencer pulled faces every time he tasted the alcohol.

"I've wanted to see this for a long time!" She giggled, her face all pink from the beer and champagne she'd had before.

"See what?"

"You, completely drunk."

He laughed, and took another swig.

"By the way, Spencer..."

He turned around, and looked into her dark eyes, lit by the moonlight.

"Yeah? What's wrong, Lilith?"

"I'm sorry. For not calling you ever since that case. I cracked the code, I just lost the piece of paper."

"Honestly, I could have called too, I was just scared. I'm used to people not calling me. I actually looked, and I haven't had a phone call with Morgan in nine months!"

Lilith laughed.

"Yeah, you should probably call him. Again, I apologise for being a mess, I feel so stupid for losing that paper. Unfortunately, I don't have an eidetic memory and I can't remember your number by heart..."

"Oh trust me, an eidetic memory, even if it's practical at times, is not the greatest gift. And no, you're not stupid."

In the darkness, the two smiled. Even if the floor on which they were lying down was cold, their laughs and the alcohol warmed them up. Spencer would show a constellation and attempt to explain the history behind it with his slurred words, and Lilith would just listen, sometimes giggling.

"Hey, Spencer?"

"Yeah?"

"Can we become friends?"

The doctor smiled.

"I thought we already were."

***

"I had so much fun again, Spencer. Thank you."

Reid had accompanied her to her flat, scared for her safety. The girl seemed to struggle with her lock, and let out a few words in french that sounded quite unorthodox to Spencer.

"Ugh! Damned appartement. I'm looking forward to the day where I move out of here."

"Are you looking for a new flat?"

"Yeah, I mean, now that I have a steady income, there's no real need for me to stay in this neighbourhood."

The door clicked, and Lilith let out a sigh.

"Finally! Well, thank you for walking me home. It was really nice of you."

"I wasn't going to let you in the subway alone like this."

"Hey! Don't play smart, you're just as drunk as me!"

"Fair enough."

Their alcohol infused laughs  could be heard in the whole building, but they didn't care.

"Also, Spencer?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for the book, it's beautiful. I can't believe you actually got me a first edition of a Paul Éluard book. Nobody's  ever done something like that for me."

"Well, more people should, Lilith. You're worth it."

She smiled.

"Thank you, doc."