Chapter 35 - We need to talk

Spencer

"I got him!" The doctor yelled, tackling the unsub. He fiercely held him down and took out the handcuffs from his back pocket. After immobilizing the man, he handed the criminal over to a police officer, who started reciting the Miranda rights.

Spencer walked away to a corner of the hangar, trying to get away from the rest of the team, and brought his hand over to his forehead. He let out a long sigh, exhausted. The case had drained him. He couldn't think straight. Spencer wondered if his headaches were back. It had been some time since he hadn't had one, but the stress he had undergone was putting his mind under immense pressure. Derek made his way toward the doctor.

"Good job today, Reid." Morgan patted the shoulder of his friend before he saw the young doctor's face.  "Hey...are you okay?"

"Thanks. Uh, yeah I'm okay. It's all good. Maybe we should get back to the police station." Spencer said while looking away and shaking his head as if he was trying to get rid of his thoughts.

"Yeah. We got to finish some paperwork." The agent replied, still doubtful and worried about his friend.

The two teammates headed to the station where they had to close the case. They needed a few hours more of work, getting the details of the case filled in as well as recording the testimony of some remaining witnesses and the confession of the unsub. Despite the time going by, Spencer wasn't really feeling better.

"Okay guys, I can drive you back home, since you're all on the road home." JJ sighed, grabbing her car keys.

"I call dibs on the front seat." Rossi replied.

***

Spencer looked out of the window, the streetlights racing past the car, occasionally casting their light on his face. He gave out a small sigh. All the teammates were talking about their plans for the weekend, a potential hang out at a restaurant, trying to get their minds off the case. Spencer, however, couldn't really focus on the conversation as he let his mind wander. He was just so mentally tired. All he wanted was emotional support.

His phone buzzed in his pocket.

The doctor hurriedly took it out, expecting a message from Lilith. She always knew when to text him. However, upon looking at the screen, he saw that he was wrong. He felt slightly disappointed.

From: Jeanine

Hey! I was wondering if you wanted to go on a date tomorrow? I have had a bad day at work today and I'd really like to talk to you about everything... Thanks, XX

Spencer let out a small sigh. Sure, why not, He thought. Maybe having someone else talk about their problems would help him forget his. Probably not, but he didn't want to let Jeanine down when he promised her a second date.

"Hey, Reid, anything going on back there? Is it your girlfriend texting you?" Rossi teased.

"Uhm, kind of?"

"What?! Spencer! You hadn't told us you were finally dating Lilith!" Emily said, shocked.

"That would be because I'm not. I went on ONE date with Jeanine, her friend."

"Oh." JJ replied, a little disappointed. "I thought you and Lilith had a thing together. So, are you going on a second date with this Jeanine? Do you like her? How is she like?"

"Yes, I'm going on a second date with her tomorrow. Please don't ask a lot of questions, I'm just really tired. I'm so sorry, I'm just confused myself."

"Hey, don't worry. Just take your time and rest for tomorrow. Okay?"JJ replied, her eyebrows furrowed in the driver's mirror.

"Okay..." He replied, feeling himself dozing off.

Lilith

The young woman was worried. It was already near midnight, and she still hadn't received a message from Spencer. He would always text her whenever he came back from a case, to tell her that he was okay. She was biting her nails again. Had anything happened to him? There were so many thoughts running through her head, she couldn't stay still. She jumped on her feet and slid on a jacket. Lilith took the flights of stairs in record time and knocked on her friend's door. After a while, she realized how stupid the decision was. He was probably asleep anyway. She turned around to go down the stairs again, just before she heard the door unlock.

"Hey...Lilith? What are you doing here?" Spencer asked in a sleepy voice.

"Oh, Doc... Sorry, you were probably asleep, I'm just...I-"

"Hey, don't worry, it's okay. Do you wanna come in?" He replied, rubbing his eye. Despite his exhaustion, he was genuinely happy to see her again after the past few days on the case.

"Oh, seriously, I don't want to bother you. I probably woke you up...it's just that I was so worried... you didn't text me and, to be quite honest...you don't look so good." She rambled.

Spencer let out a small chuckle. "Yeah...This case has just been really tiring, mentally and physically. I'm just not in a really great place right now. Sorry I forgot to text you, I just fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. Thank you for checking in on me, Lilith."

"Okay, I see. Um... you should probably sleep right now, but maybe we could hang out at that noodle restaurant and talk about it tomorrow? My shift ends around seven."

"Um- about that. I already told Jeanine we'd have a second date tomorrow evening. But I really would like to hang out with you." It was true. He'd much rather have a bowl of ramen and talk about his feelings. He was craving her company. But a promise was a promise, and Jeanine wasn't that bad, all things considered.

"Oh." Lilith replied, a sad look on her face. "Okay, maybe another time then. Well, I'll let you sleep. Goodnight, Doc."

"Goodnight, Lilith."

Lilith walked a few steps, before turning back.

"Doc?"

"Yes?"

The young woman threw her arms around his neck. The doctor immediately responded to the hug, putting his own arms around her waist tightly.

"I know you have to talk about it. The case, I mean." She softly whispered in his neck. "I'm here for you. Always. You already know that."

"I really do." Spencer simply replied. "I need to see you again. I really need to talk."

"Monday?"

"Monday."