Chapter 16 - Popcorn

Spencer

After another exhausting day on the job, the young agent crashed unto his couch and let out a sigh of relief.

Knock knock.

The doctor smiled. He jumped unto his feet, and quickly went to open the door for his friend.

"Hey, Lilith!"

The cheerful girl was wearing purple converse, as well as a large hoodie that enveloped her petite frame. She was holding in her arms a paper bag, and she kicked off her shoes in the corridor to reveal a pair of eccentric socks.

"I like them." Spencer said.

"What?"

"I like your socks."

Lilith looked down at her feet and laughed. She had chosen a pair with geese printed on them.

"Let me take this." The young man said, as he grasped the paper bag. He peered into it, and winced. All sorts of junk food were stuffed inside.

"Don't pull that face!" Lilith protested. "You're gonna thank me later, you'll see."

The doctor shrugged and left to the living room, the girl close behind. He placed the bag onto the kitchen counter, as she sat down on his sofa.

Spencer went behind the kitchen counter, and opened a drawer.

"Coffee, or Tea?" The doctor smirked, already knowing her answer.

"Well, tea, but I didn't think you'd have any..." Lilith frowned, remembering the agent's love for coffee.

"Actually, I do!" Spencer held a small green box in his hands. "I saw this at the airport while coming back, and thought I could get some for when you'd come." The doctor immediately regretted saying these words, as he realised how bold they sounded.

"That's really sweet of you." The girl smiled, genuinely touched.

Spencer was relieved, and started preparing their drinks.

"So, how did you like the apartment downstairs?"

"I loved it! It's a really good price, too. I just have to wait and see if they accept my candidacy."

"I'm sure they will, neighbour." Spencer smirked.

Soon enough, he joined her on the couch, two mugs in his hands. She grabbed one.

"So. How about we heat up some popcorn and start the series?" She suggested.

***

"What?! Wasn't he supposed to be dead?" Lilith was utterly confused at the ending of the Star Trek episode they'd been watching.

"Yeah, but if you think about it, was his death explicitly shown?" Spencer asked.

The girl considered this, pensive. She grabbed her tea and took a sip out of it. The mugs had piled up, and now the entire coffee table was covered in them.

"I'm going to be completely dead tomorrow." Lilith laughed.

"Well, it's not like you're doing anything, right? I mean, it's Sunday."

"Yeah. Talking about it, can I sleep over here? It's late, and I can't really go home. I'll take the couch."

"Okay." He smiled.

"Do friends often sleep at your place?"

"Well, not really. Henry or Jack, occasionally."

"Are they your colleagues?"

Spencer laughed.

"Not exactly, no. They're kids. Toddlers."

"Oh." She pursed her lips. "Really? No one sleeps at your place? Friends? Family? Boyfriends? Girlfriends?"

"Well, my friends don't really have time for sleepovers, they usually try and have the most time with their family. I've had a couple of girlfriends, that didn't really work out. As for boyfriends, well, I haven't really tried." Spencer said, nonchalantly.

"What about family?" She asked. "If you don't want to answer, it's fine."

"It's okay. My only family is my mom, she's in a Las Vegas center. She's schizophrenic."

Lilith looked at him. She took out her hand from under the blanket, and grabbed his.

"Everything will be okay, Doc."

He gave her a weak, but genuine smile. Even though he pretended to be fine, or nonchalant, Lilith knew. Up until now, it kind of felt like he'd break down at any moment. But somehow, her holding his hand made him feel better.

They kept talking through the night, drinking more tea and coffee, laughing and eating the slightly burnt popcorn.

She had now fallen asleep, her head gently resting on his shoulder. Spencer played with her hair, loving the softness of her black curls. He was grateful to have Lilith as a friend, and secretly hoped she'd move in the apartment downstairs. Yawning, he felt himself slowly closing his eyes.