Chapter 25 - Oh hi, Mark

"I work for the BAU." Spencer replied simply.

"And what is that?" A cousin asked.

"It's the behaviour analysis unit, for the FBI."

Silence. Lilith's family was yet again dumbfounded.

"A fed? Lilith, you will never cease to impress me. You found yourself a good one, it seems." Marthe laughed as she playfully winked to her niece, making the young woman blush from the remark.

The rest of the evening was spent bombarding Spencer with questions about his job, his cases and his everyday life. Although Lilith was a bit annoyed by her family's lack of tact, Spencer did not mind it in the least. He felt integrated.

"Thank you, mrs. Pa- I mean, Isabelle. The dinner was excellent."

"It was a pleasure to be introduced to you!" The woman turned to her daughter. "By the way, Lilith. Mark should be here tomorrow, so I expect you'll make sure to welcome him while I'm out shopping."

Lilith visibly tensed at the mention of the name, which caught Spencer's eye.

"Of course, maman."

Later that evening, as the two had rejoined the room, Spencer asked the dreaded question, the one that had been running around his mind.

"Who's Mark?"

"Oh, just a family friend. Don't worry."

"Well I am worrying, considering how you reacted back then. He can't just be 'a family friend'."

"Damn you and your profiler talents. Why do you even care?" She sighed, and grabbed a book. She laid down, her back facing him. As much as she adored Spencer, she didn't know if she wanted him to see her like this.

The doctor sat down on the edge of the bed.

"You can tell me, you know. Unless you don't want to. Then, I won't pressure you. But you looked so sad when she mentioned him, it feels like I need to know. I don't want you to be sad." Spencer admitted.

Lilith looked away. "Remember when I told you about my depression, after Angela died?"

He nodded. He couldn't ever forget.

"At the beginning, Mark was my therapist. He was a family friend, so he accepted to take care of me after the incident." She took a deep breath. "Mark was married, but I fell in love with him, still. Maybe it was because of my vulnerable state. But yes, we ended up having an affair. It's not something I'm happy about. I was so fragile and desperate, I'd actually believe it when he'd say he'd leave his wife. To him, it was just a game. In the end, I broke it off, and I think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made."

Spencer was astonished by her story, and he started to feel a strong feeling of hatred for the man. How could Mark exploit such a kind soul as Lilith's? How could he dare still show his face around her family, knowing what he'd done?

"I firmly thought it was romantic, and I loved him deeply. Now that I think back, he was probably using me for...you know." Her face showed a sad expression.

Spencer couldn't believe it. His hands were balling up into fists, and he couldn't explain the anger he was feeling within him himself.

"We should probably go to sleep." Lilith said, her voice a little more feeble than usual.

"Yeah, you're right."

Spencer got up on his feet.

"So... what are the sleeping arrangements?" The doctor asked.