Some Chapters are Easier to Name than Others

Sans woke up in a weird position. He was basically bent in half on the floor, his head fuzzy with the after effects of crying himself to sleep. Sitting up made every joint in his back pop.

Asgore was watching him from the bed he usually sat on. Sans frowned. Why was Asgore always around when he wanted to be alone?

"I'm worried about you, Sans." Asgore answered Sans' unasked question.

"it's funny. i distinctly remember you promised to leave me alone after the barrier was gone." Sans put extra emphasis on the word 'promised'.

Asgore flinched.

"Well it's not like you can really judge him for a broken promise, now can you?"

Sans ignored Chara. It was really all he could do at this point. It was like they didn't know when to shut up.

"That was before you exploded in a crowd of monsters. I can't keep everyone calm when they're afraid to go outside. There's a suspicion going around that the barrier breaking caused an unbalance in magic for some monsters because of you! Alphys and I are swamped with scared citizens trying to get checked out for this made up magic disease, and we already had enough to do as it was!"

Sans ended up staring at his knees. It wasn't his fault his magic had gone off like that, it was Chara's.

No, it was his. He was weak, and he just couldn't control the overwhelming power of the souls all at once. He was a useless lump of shit that couldn't even die correctly.

"Sans, you were never like this before. The mumbling, the random outbursts... the frowning..."

Sans still had no idea how he had ever been able to smile for so long. Things had just seemed to go downhill so fast after Papyrus died. Now he looked at himself and cringed.

"i'm fine." He muttered the common response with little conviction. It obviously wasn't fooling Asgore.

"You should just reset so he doesn't think your crazy."

Sans growled. "See, it's things like that that tell me you're not fine." Asgore was pleading, basically.

Sans kept his mouth shut. He wasn't even going to try to give a reason. If Asgore thought he was crazy, so be it. Maybe Sans was crazy.

"This is boring. Do something." Sans ignored them."Sans! Come on!" Nothing. Sans wasn't playing their game. "Fine. If you won't do something, I will."

"don't you fucking dare!" Sans gave in. His mind filled with Chara's laughing as he glanced at the king. More concern. "and i don't need you judging everything i do!" He screamed at the poor goat king.

He stood up and headed for the door. Asgore looked as if he was going to stop him, but thankfully, he didn't. Sans needed to get some place without people. Somewhere that Chara couldn't hurt anyone.

~

Sans stormed out of the room. Asgore was still unsure what had made him start yelling, but it was definitely something only Sans could sense.

He was having a hard time putting faith in Sans' sanity. He didn't want to think the monster was mentally inept, but the evidence was all pointed the other way.

He looked around the room and sighed. He missed when this room was full of happy children. Asriel and Chara. He looked around the room, lost in the past. Reading bedtime stories, playing games, laughing and telling jokes.

He needed to call Alphys. He left the room to clear his head. He should tell her everything that happened. He was no expert on monster psychology. She wasn't either, but between the two of them, maybe they could find something out. It's not like they had many options.