Who Knew the King had a Sense of Humor?

Sans stared up at the two story house he had just rented. Papyrus was gonna love it. It was big, had two bedrooms, and was in a nice town away from the big city. The cold didn't bother either of them, so it seemed absolutely perfect.

He headed back towards the Waterfall. He liked the walk to the resort, and once he got there, he would have to help Papyrus pack for the move to Snowdin.

"Oh." Sans looked up and saw a massive goat monster smiling at him. "I don't think I've ever met you before."

"uh... no, i guess not. i'm Sans. Sans the skeleton." Sans held out his hand for the massive monster to shake.

"I'm Asgore." The goat smiled wider and shook Sans' hand.

Sans was sure he wouldn't remember the name. He had met so many new people the past few days, all the names and faces were merging together. He would have to work hard to remember who was who.

Papyrus was the other way. He could remember your name and face as well as just about anything important he had learned about you.

"You wouldn't happen to be the monster thaat rented the two story house on the edge of Snowdin, would you?" Asgore seemed nice. He was relaxed. Sans was used to knowing people, so when he didn't, things were awkward.

"heh. Yup. Me and my bro." He shoved his hands in his pockets to compensate for the growing awkwardness.

"Your brother? That's strange, you would think I would know about two Skeletons, but I've never even heard of you guys."

Shit. "uh.. w-we aren't... um... we haven't... yeah." Sans really had no idea how to explain where they had come from. As soon as he found out Papyrus had amnesia, he had decided to leave it as it was until he could get them home.

"Well, I rarely get to meet new people, would you like to come and have some tea?" Sans was glad the goat didn't pry, and nodded.

~

He was going to have tea with the king. The fucking king of monsters. Sans was standing outside of the palace, and Asgore had just walked straight into the building.

Taking a deep breath, Sans followed. The building was entirely different from what he had expected. It looked like an average home. Asgore was setting a tea set out at the table.

"so, uh.. your the king?" Sans hated not knowing things. He was really bad at conversation unless he knew someone at least somewhat well.

"Oh... well, yes." He headed for the kitchen. He turned just before reaching the door. "Would you like some snail pie with your tea?"

Snail pie? Gross. Sans gagged at the thought. "Nah. I don't have the stomach for it."

Asgore stared at him for a second. "Did..." Please fucking laugh. "You..." If you don't laugh, this is gonna be fuckin' awkward. "Because.. you're a skeleton..." He sighed, but there was a huge smile on his face. "I haven't heard anything that awful in a while."

Sans relaxed. Thank god Asgore had a sense of humor. "heh. yeah. I thought it was kinda humerus."

Asgore looked as if he was going to protest that one, but just as he opened his mouth, the teapot whistled, and he was obligated to go to the kitchen.

In the few seconds of peace, Sans tried to calm his nerves. Flaring his magic slightly, he looked across the room at the code. The code never lied, and seeing that there was nothing concerning made Sans relax.

Asgore came back, and Sans and he talked for a long time. He seemed to like Sans' sense of humor. Sans found himself enjoying the time he was spending with the king.

"So how old are you?" Asgore poured Sans some more tea.

"i just turned 18. my bro, Papyrus, is 15, so i guess i'm a little worried about taking care of him on my own." He laughed nervously. He didn't even have a job. "he can be a handful."

"Well, if you need a job, you can always look into joining the Royal Guard. I saw you using your magic earlier." He looked curious.

"uh.. yeah that's just something i do." Sans pointed at his left eye and let it flair with magic. "i can see absolute truth like this, so i use it sometimes when i'm in a new area."

"Absolute truth..." Asgore muttered. "What does that mean."

Sans thought for a second. How would he explain the code he saw? What did he even know about it?

It was white. All white code in a black background. He could distinguish items by their shape, and the code told him exactly what it was. With people, it was the same. He could see everything about them. Their stats, equipment, LV...

The code never lies.

"exactly what i said." He shrugged. "i can see the truth."

"Really? And what truth is that?" Asgore looked entirely intrigued. He was leaning against the table on his elbows.

"Your LV is somewhere between 5 and 10. Your Attack and Defense are both at 30, and you have a magic trident and use fire magic. The house is absolutely average, with hints of disuse in areas. Especially the first two rooms in your hall. Your basement leads off way away from the house."

Sans continued. He was proud of his magic. "i can shortcut with it, too. make the seam between rooms lead to a different seams instead of straight through."

"Seams?" Sans forgot most people didn't know about them. If you couldn't see the truth, it looked as if all the rooms seamlessly crossed into each other. Sans could see them, though. The code showed him where they were.

"i'll show you." Sans stood and headed toward the hall. "this is one of the two doors to the living room. that is the other." He pointed at the kitchen. "i can, using my magic, walk through this door and come out that one."

He turned from Asgore and looked at the code. Using his magic, he altered the programming between the end point of the small portal, changing where it sent him to the other door. Then he stepped through, coming out behind the king.

Asgore whipped around. "I..." He just stared at him for a moment as if deciding what to do with this information. "I change my mind. Don't bother with the Royal Guard. I have a better job offer for you."

Sans stood up straighter. "and what's that?"

Asgore smiled. "I'll set it up with Undyne and make sure she lets you in."

"wait, what is it you're expecting me to do?" Asgore was excited. Sans was glad for a job opportunity, if he thought it would work, he would totally take it. No need to go out searching when a job was falling right into his lap, right?

"I want you to be my judge."