This is Why Sans Doesn't Bet on Lunch

"Sans! If you don't hurry, we won't get good seats!" Papyrus yelled as he ran a little ways ahead before running back to sans' side. Sans chuckled. "You're not moving any faster!" The excited teen pulled Sans' arm out of his pocket and tried dragging him.

"what's the hurry?" Sans asked, allowing himself to be dragged along at a slightly faster pace then he had previously set for himself.

"Undyne is fighting the king again!" Papyrus beamed. Sans had joined Papyrus several times in watching Asgore and Undyne fight. Undyne always lost, even though the king refused to attack her. It wasn't all that exciting, but Papyrus could never get enough.

"it's not like there's gonna be a bunch of people there." Sans argued. Papyrus was basically carrying him at this point. "in fact, i doubt anyone besides us will be there." There wasn't much to do in the underground, but by now, even the fights between Asgore and Undyne were old news, and the one sided battles had gotten boring fast.

"I would bet that there will be others there!" Papyrus had stopped. He let go of Sans and crossed his arms. "In fact, I'll bet on lunch that there will be people besides Asgore, me, you, and Undyne there."

Now this was interesting. Papyrus rarely placed bets on anything. Sans had already planned on going to Grillby's for lunch, and that would mean complaints from Papyrus. The cocky grin on his brothers face made Sans' own grow wider.

"really, now?" Sans was easily willing to take that bet. Even if it was just for the fun of watching how annoyed his brother would get at being wrong. "alright. if there's more than four people there, you get to decide what's for lunch. if not, were going to Grillby's."

Papyrus made a face at the mention of his brothers favorite bar. It was no secret the younger brother hated the place. Sans didn't think there was really anything wrong with the place, but Papyrus had set his mind against it for some reason.

"Fine! If I win, you get to have my famous home cooked spaghetti!" He laughed triumphantly, as if he had already won the wager.

Sans was utterly shocked when he saw an ancient turtle sitting next to Undyne's things. Papyrus just gave a good hearted smile. Looks like pasta for lunch.

The fight wasn't even all that great. Sans was more interested in watching how funny Papyrus was when he squirmed with excitement.

The 15 year old was practically beaming. He seemed torn between staying next to his older brother, and running to sit closer to the fight.

Sans watched him sleepily. Despite how boring this all was, he was just happy hanging out with his brother. He rested his head against the cave of the wall he had been leaning against.

Maybe this place wasn't so bad. Of all the places he could have been sent, this was nowhere near the worst. He could enjoy the break. He never really had the chance to relax back home.

~

"SANS! You missed it!" Sans snapped awake. Where was he? He looked around. Oh yeah. The spar.

"what happened?" He yawned.

Papyrus looked perturbed. "Undyne lost." He crossed his arms.

"really? wow. what an unusual turn of events." Sans leaned his head back again. He was still drowsy, and the wall was actually really comfortable right here.

"Sans, you didn't even watch!" The teen shook his brother again. Sans sighed. Looks like no more sleep for him. "Asgore got hit to the ground, and Undyne felt really bad."

That was new. The fish was getting tougher. "is the king okay?" Sans looked around, but the only one still left besides them was the ancient turtle that had cost him a good lunch.

"He was really proud of her! It was amazing!" If Papyrus had eyes, they would be sparkling. "Sans, do you think I could be that tough someday?"

Sans laughed. "what, are you kidding? you could easily be ten times better than that." Sans made sure to always encourage his little brother. He knew the feeling of being inadequate, and he never wanted that for his brother.

Papyrus gave a gleeful laugh. "Come on, brother! Let's get lunch!"

~

Sans stared at the spaghetti in front of him. Half the noodles had been cooked to the point that they were falling apart, the other half were still raw and stiff.

The pasta sauce was no better. Somehow, Papyrus had managed to crystallize the tomato. The way it clung to the noodles looked more like the crystals on the cave wall than any form of food.

Sans sighed ans took the fork Papyrus was offering to him. He could be eating a perfectly greasy burger from Grillby's right now.

"so, how did you know Gerson was gonna be there?" He asked as he picked at the food.

Papyrus swallowed down a bite of the toxic pasta before he spoke. "I had to pick up some supplies at his shop, 'cuz the store in town was low on tools. He's the one that told me they were fighting today."

"hey, that's cheating!" Sans overemphasized his discontent. He pointed his fork accusingly at Papyrus. "you rigged it."

"I wouldn't! Never!" Papyrus's indignance was equally as extreme, but Sans was almost positive it was real. "I... er.. I merely knew more than you." He crossed his arms again.

"yeah, that's a first." Sans teased.

Sans always cracked up when Papyrus got that disapproving look. He acted almost like a mother to Sans, and the older skeleton thought it was hilarious. Maybe he needed some mothering. He wasn't sure, but he didn't mind.

"okay, okay. i was kidding, jeez." Sans put his fork down. He hoped Papyrus hadn't noticed he wasn't even pretending he was gonna eat what was before him.

Papyrus seemed to annoyed to care. Sans took this as a win. Papyrus finished his meal and headed up to his room. Probably to get on the Undernet. He was really into it right now, but Sans wasn't sure he would be able to stay cooped up in his room like he was for very long. Sans was glad to have a few hours to himself at least.