Chapter Fifteen

"Assalam alaykum Layla," Hudaa said, eating her cereal by the dining table.

"Waalikum salam," I replied, while putting on my flats. "I am so late, I overslept."

"Well you did return late yesterday, what happened to thirty minutes — in and out," she said.

"It's a long story, one that I would never want to re-live ever again," I told her, quickly fixing my scarf.

"Okay," she replied.

"I'll call you later. Bye," I told her opening the door.

"Take care. Bye." I took the bus, as usual. Same old route, yet today something feels different. I feel different. Yesterday was just an explosion of emotions. Finding out Adil wants to marry me, me crying my heart out, and almost being rapped. It all happened in one day. Sighs* My parents were my happiness, I just miss them so much. I wonder how I'll live knowing they won't be there to witness my successes in life.

I got off the bus and started walking to the mansion, it wasn't a long walk. Enough time to sort out my thoughts. I got to the mansion, entered through the back door, that leads to the kitchen. Jane was mopping the floors. "Good morning," I greeted her.

"Morning sleeping beauty," She said and laughed.

"I know I know I am late," I said, while putting my bag on the counter. "Did Imad go to school?"

"Yes he did go. It wasn't easy convincing him, he looked disappointed that you hadn't come. I told him you'd pick him up after school," she explained.

"Thank you so much Jane. I will pick him after school and maybe take him to his favorite ice-cream parlor to make it up to him."

"Mr Ahmed has traveled. He went to London for business," Jane said.

"Did he say when he was going to be back?" I asked.

"No he just said he was traveling to London." Out of nowhere, I heard a shrill scream. I head out of the kitchen and see Madam Samia on the stairs. I ran to her aid. Could she had fallen down the stairs?

" 'ant bakhyr?" I asked her.
[Are you okay?]

"No..." she replied and stared at me. "I know you."

"Aismi Layla. 'aemal labnak 'ahmad," I told her. [ My name is Layla. I work for your son Ahmed.]

"Layla?" She asked.

"Yes that's my name," I told her. "Now let me help you get up." I helped her get up and slowly helped her up the stairs. Looks like the nurse hasn't come, which means she hasn't had her medication. If Mr Ahmed ever found out about this. He will be very mad, hell will be unleashed. I took her to her room, she laid down on her bed. She must be in pain.

There was some ointment on her dressing table, I took it and applied some on her feet. I massaged her feet, it seemed to calm her. I sat on the floor, besides the bedpost — in silence. "Where are my children?" She asked. I looked at her and smiled.

"They are with their families," I told her.

"Am I not their family? I have raised my children with love and care. But still they don't come and visit me. Have I wronged them?" she spoke, almost in tears.

"No you haven't, you are a good mother." I looked down at my hands, and thought of my parents. If I could see them for one last time, I could give anything in my position. Anything... Though I also wonder why Madam Samia's kids never come to see her. It's all she talks about, her kids.

"Abnataya [my daughter], you are my child yes?" She asked.

"I am not your child..." I told her in a low tone.