Chapter Thirty

"Ya Allah please forgive me for my sins, that I have committed knowingly and unknowingly. I am thankful for everything you have given me, all I ask is from you is to give my heart strength and most importantly sabar (patience). Ya Allah please protect Imad from all harm that might come his way..." I stopped reciting my dua, softly under my breath when I heard a knock on the door. I was sitting on the edge of the bed, I got on my feet and limped towards the door.

Before I opened it, there was another knock, this time more impatiently and hurriedly. I unbarred the door and before my eyes stood Ahmed, he walked in, without saying anything. Its's three o'clock in the morning, how did he know I was awake.

"Are you done packing?" He asked, as he walked over to the bed. We are traveling to Dubai today in the evening, the flight is at 5:30.

"Yes I am," I replied. I tried to get a glimpse of his face, but his head was lowered. I limped over to the bed and sat on the edge of it. Ahmed stood next to the footboard of the bed.

"How is your ankle? Are the ointments helping?' He spoke in a concerned manner.

"Alhamduliah, it is getting better. Yeah the ointments are helping," I replied. Though my curiosity was taking over and I wanted to know why he is here. There was silence for a moment, the atmosphere felt dense. He sat on the bed, not too close, far enough for there to be space between us. Ahmed buried his face in his hands and later ran his fingers through his hair. I observed his movements, and looked away when I thought to myself that I probably look like one of those creepy stalkers.

"So you came all the way to my room to ask about my ankle..." I said. He sighs, and looks at me. His impenetrable eyes and inscrutable countenance give little away, but something felt of. The first reason being that he is in my room, at three o'clock in the morning.

"I don't even know why I am here. I guess..."

"You missed me?" I cut him of, and spoke in a cocky tone.

"Whatever makes you sleep better at night." He chuckled, and smirked. "I just wanted to talk."

"About what?" I asked him.

"I have not been to Dubai since my brother died, I distanced myself from my family there. The only family I have left is my mother and Imad. The only family that matters," he spoke in a modulating tone, and I did not want to stop listening to him. Ahmed was opening up to me and it was weird at first, that's only because he has never done it before and it's also comforting, because he is being 'human' towards me.

"My siblings don't care about her, my mother. I hate them for that. They do not deserve to have her, they don't deserve to call her their mother. But they are my family and you can't really get rid of that. You should have seen them when the will of my brother was being read. They looked annoyed, as if their time was being wasted. Imad was supposed to live with my eldest brother. I knew he would have just been sent to a boarding school the moment he turned nine. That was the last thing I would let happen, I fought for him. My biggest regret is not being there for Imad... My sister and I weren't on speaking terms, until recently when I informed her that I had married. Sarah said she will plan everything. Forgetting the bitter words she spat at me two years ago when I confronted her about not taking care of our mother."

I listened to him and apart of me knew that he's hurting inside and he doesn't know what to do with all the pain and hatred. Because he has never confronted his feelings.

"I can't say, I can relate... Though I understand. Ahmed you know your mother confuses things, as her memory is not that good. Your mother sometimes praises you, saying her son is a good person. At first I did not believe her, but I do now. You do not have to hate yourself and regret for not being there for Imad. Because regardless of your absence, he looks up to you and he loves you. You should not dwell in the past, but look forward and plan for a better tomorrow. Both your mother and Imad love you, as you said they are the only two that matter. As for your sister, maybe she just misses her little brother and wants to make amends. It is true you can not get rid of your family, whether you love them or not. Ahmed you are doing great as a son and an uncle, the best part you are getting thawab (rewards) from Allah s.w.t . You are taking care of an orphan and your sick mother... I just pray that your heart finds peace."

"It has," he replied in a low tone. " I think I should get going, and get some sleep. I have to go to work early and finish packing." He stood up and walked towards the door.

"Ahmed." He turned to look at me. " kl shay yahduth bisubb. Thaqin biallah," I told him.

[Everything happens for a reason. Trust in God.]

He nodded, approvingly and left the room. Ya Allah let Ahmed find peace in his heart, and in his life.

***
Thanks for reading.❤️
(Sorry for the short chapter.)