Chapter Fourteen

"What do you mean my father said that? He would have contacted me first!" I spoke, outraged and in shock.

"Miss Amal please contain yourself. Your father, Mr Ahmed is a major shareholder and has voted you out and retained your shares. You have been a prolific member and it is sad that this is happening. Mr Ahmed did not share his reasons with us, but his orders are to be carried out immediately," Lisa, one of the shareholder spoke.

"I don't understand." I looked out the glass window, trying to hold back my tears.

"We vetted for you, we managed to convince your father to retain your post in Dubai as manager. The work you have done has not gone unnoticed." I look back at her and limply smile.

"I appreciate that. Once I clear this issue with my father, I will definitely get back to you about my position in Dubai."

"Take your time," Lisa said. I gathered my things and placed them in my bag. I walked out of the office, feeling so confused, unsettled and mostly curious to know why my father would do this without letting me know. I just didn't get it. When I got in the car, I called my father immediately. I needed answers and he was the only one who could give them to me. He picked up the call and there a moment of silence before I spoke.

"Assalam alaykum," I greeted him. Trying my very best to be calm.

"Waalikum Salam Amal." He replied.

"How are you?" I asked.

"Alhamdulilah okay."

"Dad why did you remove me as a shareholder. Did I do something wrong?"

"You did nothing wrong Amal." He said and sighed. " On the contrary you've done everything right."

"Well I don't understand then. I  must have done something dad. Because it seems to me, you don't want me working. The other members had to vet for me, so I could keep my job in Dubai. So you wanted to take away my job as well, let alone the shares," I spoke, my tone fluctuating. Trying my best to be civil and calm, it was not easy.

"My actions were pragmatic and supported with valid reasons." He spoke in a monotone. I can't believe him.

"What were your reasons? Please enlighten me dad."

"Amal I know you only took the business course out of duty. After the accident... Well you thought that you had to take responsibility. This is not what you wanted. I was there Amal, when you used to read for me your stories, that you make up. There was a glow in your eyes, a spark. You would get excited. You painted, you loved to draw and paint. You are an artist not a business woman. I should have done this a long time ago."

"You don't get to just decide my life for me dad. However I don't need the shares, I will quit my job. I hope you are happy, you got what you wanted. I just don't understand why you didn't come to me first and talk to me. And ask me what my thoughts on that topic were. I enjoyed working as a manager, being a business woman. Did it ever occur to you that I might be good at business as well? You are my father... Mum would never do something like this. And you may be right, I felt like it was my duty. I was the only one alive, yet you didn't realize that. Until today. Imad had pursued his career, he doesn't know anything about business. He didn't even show up for mums funeral. It was up to me. Even when my father had decided to be estranged." A lump formed in my throat, as I spoke. I tried to hold my back my tears.

"I never meant to hurt you. I am just doing what's best for you... I am sorry. I just wanted you to do what you are passionate about."

"Please don't apologize dad. I understand. I will talk to you later. Bye." I hang up the phone, tears started to flow from eyes. I knew if I stayed any longer on the phone call, I would cry and he would hear. Which would hurt him  more than my words. He hated when Anisa and I would cry. My dad would do anything to put a smile on our faces, including dancing around all silly. It worked every time. And my mum would join in, forced in by my father. Nothing is the same.

I knew my relationship between my father and I, was tattered after the accident, but it never occurred to me that it had gotten worse over the years. And today proves that. How does he just decide what's best for me without consulting me. I knows he's my father but still. Out of the bloom. After keeping me in the dark and distancing himself. How do I even begin to try to understand him.

When I reached the hotel. My mind was preoccupied by the events that unfolded today. My feelings were hurt, not only by my fathers actions, but mostly by the reality of my relationship with him. It's not the same anymore and it's become clear more than ever today. I walked in the hotel, making sure I hold in my tears till I got to my room.

"Amal." I turn around and see Jamal striding towards me, wearing a black coat and his hair shabby. He looked like he hadn't slept decently for hours. His presence was a surprise, and somewhat a relief to see a familiar face. It's definitely comforting. I smile at him. Once he reaches me he begins to talk frantically;

"I needed to see you in person."

"Is everything okay?" I asked him. "If it's about surprising me, don't worry I..."

"No no it's not about that. I just needed to see you and talk to you. This couldn't wait." He cut me off and spoke. "Can we go somewhere and talk?" He asked.

"Yes, the hotel's restaurant," I suggested. He agreed and I lead the way. We walked side by side - I glanced at him once, he didn't seem like himself. Something was making him uncomfortable, something he couldn't keep to himself anymore and I began to wonder what it could possibly be. We took our seats, facing each other. There were barely any people in the restaurant. He shook his leg and run his fingers throw his hair once too many times. This isn't usually him.

"Now you're making me worried Jamal. What's wrong?"

"I lied to you Amal. I lied to you and I am so sorry. You didn't deserve it. I am so so sorry." He looked at me once he finished speaking.

"Lied to me? About what?" I asked. He takes a deep breath in and breathes out.

"From the beginning. I was never going to marry you, I was already engaged and my fiancé..."

"Slow down Jamal. What are you talking about? I don't understand." Or at least I didn't want to believe what he was saying was true.

"Amal I was engaged, when I met you. Everything I said was scripted and premeditated. I was never going to marry you. I was going to make you fall for me and break your heart. But I couldn't go through with it. My fiancé had a vendetta against your family, or at least your mum and she said she was doing it for her family. I went through with it because I loved her, I didn't think about anything else but her happiness and didn't think of your pain."

"Please tell me you're joking. Please tell me that this is a cruel prank, and that we are going to laugh about this 5 minutes from now."

"I wish that were the case. I really do."

"Do you hear yourself?" My voice louder than his. "Do you hear how crazy and insane you sound?"

"I am sorry." He says in a low tone.

"Are you really? Because I don't believe you. I don't believe a word you say. You are a liar and nothing you will ever say will make me change my mind about you. You did your part well Jamal, I did fall for you. Congratulations. I hope you and your fiancé are finally happy."

"You don't understand Amal. After spending all that time with you..."

"Let me stop you right there." I cut him off and stood up. "Listen to me carefully Jamal. You are a liar. The worst kind. I don't have to sit here and listen to more of your lies. Stay away from me. Don't come in contact with me, or there will be consequences."

"Amal." He stood up from his seat. Tears lingered on his eyelids. "Four years ago, prior to your mums death. She told me that, if I were to ever love you - she gave me her blessing for me to marry you. Your mum knew I liked you. My feelings..."

"I don't care about your feelings. If my mother knew what I know now and witnessed her own daughter in pain. I am sure her thoughts on you would change drastically." I said and walked away. There's nothing left to say. It felt like continuing to talk to him would he like reviving the dead, pointless. It made me feel numb to an extent that I had to question if I ever could feel again. Everything he said was simply a lie. Everything he said, covered in honey, just to get on my good only to break my heart. And he did it, successfully.