Chapter Forty

"Oh my god you look so beautiful," Sarah squealed with excitement.

"You think so?" I asked her, feeling slightly unconfident. Sarah asked me to twirl around and so I did, at least I tried to. It's hard to move around with the gown. She's probably trying to make me feel more confident in my wedding gown. I still can't believe today is the reception.

"I know so. Layla your dress is perfect. You haven't even done your makeup, yet you like your ready to walk down the aisle," She said. "I am so happy for you... and my brother," She teared up, as she spoke.

"No don't cry," I said, while I walked to her. "I don't want to start crying to."

"I can't help it. Seeing you today just brings up a lot of memories," She said, and wiped away her tears with a tissue she was holding. "I pray for you a future together filled with lots and lots of joy and happiness. A little piece of advice, don't let days go by where you don't embrace each other. Having a laugh together, going to dinner dates once in a while or doing whatever you both love together, is one of the best parts of marriage. Don't ever take that for granted." A single tear drop rolled down her cheek, and she forced a smile.

"Thank you so much." I hugged her. Sarah has been there for me since the day we first met, she's family. She's my family. I couldn't help it, tears trickled down my cheeks. My marriage to Ahmed doesn't feel like a sham anymore, I am not faking my emotions — it sure doesn't feel like I am.

"Enough of this... this isn't supposed to be a sorrowful event. This day is meant to be a happy, cheerful day. With the bride smiling at all times, until her cheeks hurt and the groom complaining about the amount of pictures he has to pose in," Sarah said, and stopped hugging me.

"Now let's get you ready for makeup. We have only an hour left," Sarah said and helped me carry the tail of the gown.

"Okay," I walked towards the bed and sat. "Have you seen Imad?"

"Imad is with his uncles, along with Ahmed in the other suite. He is fine don't worry," Sarah reassured me. "Now let me go and check if everything is going as planned and welcome the guests." I nodded my head, indicating an okay. "Once your done with your make up, I'll come get you. You will meet with Ahmed at the stairway, walk down the staircase together on the red carpet and straight into the hotel ballroom," Sarah briefed me for the hundredth time.

"Yes I got it," I told her.

"Don't forget, slow-deep breaths and smile. Take your time, don't rush."

"I won't," I said and started fidgeting with my fingers.

"I'll be right back," She said and left the room. I sat on the bed, patiently waiting for the makeup artist to walk in the room. Whenever I shut my eyes, to try and relax while taking in deep breaths — I begin to imagine walking down the aisle and something goes wrong. What if I trip, what if I smile the wrong way, what if I walk too fast... I am trying my best to not worry about it. It's just all overwhelming. The door opened, and the makeup artist walked in. I had to sit on the chair by the dressing table so she could start with my make up.

My phone started ringing in the midst of my makeover. The makeup artist gave me my phone, that was on the bed. It was Hudaa FaceTiming me, I answered it. And I see Hudaa eating popcorn, sitting on her couch in her living room. "Who are you? And what have you done to my best friend?" She spoke in a gleeful manner.

"Assalam alaykum," I greet her.

"Waalikum salam. I can't believe I am missing my best-friend's wedding. Layla you look gorgeous. Are you nervous? Don't be, okay. This is your special day, and Ahmed is one lucky guy. I hope he knows that," She said.