Chapter Twenty Two

"Mrs Ahmed Damari," Hudaa said, with a grin.

"I don't think I will ever get used to that," I said, looking at the gold bangles Hudaa made me put on.

"Even though this wedding isn't a love marriage. I can't help it but be happy for you," she said, while putting on her shoes.

"Yeah..." I kept my hand on my chest, fidgeting with the ring Adil gave me. I had kept in a chain, as a pendant. "I don't want to do this without Adil's consent. He should know."

"Layla you are only getting married so you can stay in America and take care of Imad. I know you didn't imagine your wedding day to be like this but taken the circumstances you don't have a choice, I am sure Adil will understand." By the time Adil gets my message, I will have already signed the papers. I stood up, and looked myself in the mirror. Mr Ahmed had told me that the only way I could stay in America is if I marry him. It was in the morning, we were still at the hospital in the waiting room. I didn't believe what he had told me, especially coming from him. It felt like some sort of trick, a test. Me marrying Mr Ahmed? It's just surreal.

Sham or not, I wanted my wedding to be with someone who loves and respects me, mutual affection.

It was a bitter sweet moment hearing that I could stay in America but only if I get married, get married to Mr Ahmed. He made it very clear that he wanted nothing to do with me, he didn't like the idea of being married to me. I am sure he was thinking about his reputation — Billionaire Ahmed Damari Marries His Maid. It's not a great way to be known. But like me, he is doing it for the well-being and sake of Imad.

"You look beautiful," Hudaa said, and smiled. At least someone is enjoying the idea of me getting married. I wore nothing fancy, a lilac colored modest dress, with a white chiffon scarf. My make up — neutral. Hudaa insisted on the make up and wearing jewelry. We are going to go to the court, Hudaa's husband Walid and his friend volunteered to be witnesses. So they will meet us there.

Without realizing, distracted with my thoughts, I was sulking. "Layla your happiness means a lot to me." I looked at Hudaa, who looked like she was about to cry."You have been there for me when I needed you, you have been there for me through my tears and laughter. You are my favorite person in this world. I know you are scared, but always remember you are not alone. Allah is the best of planners, do trust in him. You're sister. I have loved you through my prayers. When your heart feels heavy, pray." Hudaa hugged me.

Tears lingered on my eyelids. I know if I started to cry, she would scowled and tell I am ruining my make up. I smile, even when it feels like everything is falling out of place. Hudaa always finds away to cheer me up. My best-friend, the sister I never had.
"Thank you for everything," I tell her.

"Okay okay enough of emotionalism. We need to get to the court by 4:00 pm. You don't want to keep Ahmed waiting. It's his wedding I am sure he is nervous as you are," she spoke. Mr Ahmed nervous? Hudaa certainly knows doesn't know my boss.

Mr Ahmed

"Layla and I are going somewhere to deal with important things. We will come back here as soon as we are done," I explained.

"Okay," he replied. "Please can you bring me ice-cream?"

"You will have to ask Layla when she comes, we wouldn't want to get into trouble. Jane is going to be here with you..."

"Jane is coming? I hope she brought me chocolate chip cookies," he said. Imad continued to watch the cartoon, that was showing on the t.v. I check my watch, it's 3:40 pm. I am going to be late. As I was heading for the exit, I saw Jane coming in.

"Salam Ahmed," she greets me.

"Hi Jane," I say. "Imad is still in the room, he is watching cartoon on the television."

"Okay do not worry, I will look after him. Now hurry you mustn't be late for your wedding." she said, and smiled. I walk away thinking of what Jane had said. I still can not believe that I am getting married. I got to my car...
Marrying Layla? This surely feels like a cruel joke life is playing on me. Why her? Why is she fated into my life. My thoughts took over, thinking of how everything will change once I sign the papers. She will be known as my wife. I wasn't planning on getting married, especially not with her.

I will make sure nothing changes. We might be married but it will be only on paper. I can't afford to waste more of my time on her. This is for Imad...

Layla

The kadi began with a dua (prayer), my heart felt like it would jump out my chest. I felt anxious and nauseous. I am getting married, this is actually happening. I tried to look past my rising heartbeats, and my somewhat uneven breaths. Mr Ahmed had arrived, a few minutes late. We sat on the chairs that were kept in front of the kadi's desk. The papers already kept on his desk, and the pen.

I am getting married, that means I am completing half of my deen. This is as real as it gets. The kadi asked Mr Ahmed and I the question — that we both agreed too. I am not going to lie, for a moment I was hesitant. Hoping that somehow, someone would rush in through the doors and say I that I am not getting deported and didn't have to get married. But this isn't like in the movies, this is real life, my life that I am now sharing it with Mr Ahmed. We both signed the marriage contract. I signed without thinking twice, I knew something in me would have stopped me if I did. I watched Mr Ahmed sign the marriage contract. He didn't look nervous, I guess he is good at hiding his emotions.

I am officially married. I stood up from my seat, and so did Mr Ahmed. He looked at me, actually we stared at each other. I hoped he would signal out what to do next. I felt different already, I couldn't tell in a good or bad way. He took out a velvet ring box from his suite pocket and opened the ring box. Mr Ahmed removed a ring, a white gold square cut diamond ring. It's lovely. I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to hold in my tears. It's supposed to be Adil, my heart reminds me. 

I gave him my hand, I knew if I didn't it would look suspicious. He held my hand carefully, as if he were scared to hurt me. Mr Ahmed put the ring on my ring finger. Hudaa started  chanting a dua (prayer) and Walid started congratulating us. He left my hand, and started walking away. Hudaa hugged me before I left, and told me to take care. I followed Mr Ahmed, walking behind him. We reached the parking lot, he stops walking and turns to look at me.

"This doesn't change anything," he says. "You still remain Imad's Nanny." I remain quite, I am still shocked that I am married, I am married to my boss. Mr Ahmed's voice fades into the background, as my thoughts took over. It's for a few months. Just a few months... My mind reassured me.

***
Thanks for reading.❤️
Layla and Ahmed are officially married. "It's just on paper," Mr Ahmed says. Both believing nothing is bound to happen... Will love be fated in their lives?