PART 2 : Chapter One

Amal

"Miss Ahmed," My assistant walked in holding the cup of coffee that I ordered for. She placed it beside my laptop and gave me some papers. "Iyad Hamid has sent you the documents you were asking for and the meeting scheduled for three o'clock with the potential investor has been re-scheduled to one o'clock."

"Okay thanks," I told her. Before she walks out she turns around and speaks again:

"Oh and your therapist called and told me to inform you that she is travelling to her home country, for her brother's funeral and that she will be back by next month."

"Send her a card and some flowers, when she returns. The card should read "Sorry for your loss"," I instructed her and she left.

My phone started ringing, I stared at it and had a debate on whether I should pick it up or not. It's Rayana, my cousin and her wedding is just around the corner she picked me to be her maid of honor. I can't believe I even agreed. She's been the very definition of bridezilla, I wish I was exaggerating by calling her that, but I am not. Rayana calls me everyday to make sure that everything has been pre-booked and even though I have assured her I have, she still calls me to ask. Her bridal shower is next week and well it has been double the stress for me. It's like I am in between jobs and whereas the other job I don't even get paid. The phone stopped ringing, immediately after, she sends a wordy text on my duty as maid of honor and why she called me. I take my phone and unlock it. I read the message she sent and sigh.

Rayana: Hey call me as soon as you can.

It's your job to be checking up on me and making sure I am fine. You're my maid of honor Amal. Why do I always have to remind you. Anyway I was calling to ask if you are free for coffee in the evening. My mother wants to invite Aunty Fatma and her daughter Maya. Maya and I haven't been in speaking terms since she wore the same dress as me at Uncle Kamal's wedding. I am scared she might even wear the same gown as me, on my own wedding day!

Me: I am a bit busy now, I am at work. I work. Why do I always have to remind you that. And yes coffee sounds good. 5:30?

Rayana your dress is custom made from Turkey. I highly doubt she would go through all the trouble just to ruin your wedding day.

Rayana: I hate it when you're right. Why do you have to be so reasonable... I guess that's why I choose you to be my maid of honor.

5:30 sounds good. See you later x

I kept my phone away and started doing some work. I am the manager of a luxurious hotel and if I am not keen or careful information could easily be misread: information that is crucial for the continuity and success of the hotel. Since my arrival two years ago, the hotel has managed to attract more investors, gained a good reputation and a five star rating. Every year the number of people that check in the hotel doubles. I would like to think my parents are proud of me... I do what I do with passion and with my whole heart. I aspire to follow my father's legacy and the hard work he has done to keep the the family business afloat.

Time passed fast when I work, I didn't even realize that it's already 1:30 pm. I look at my watch, as I stood up from my seat. Poor time management skills, probably what the investors will be thinking when I show up late. Already giving the wrong impression about me. Where is my assistant when I need her. She's gone for her lunch break, I recall as I hurriedly walk out of my office. I stride my way towards the lobby, where they were supposed to be waiting for me. As I walk into the lobby I see no sign of them. Just tourists, the guests of the hotel and the staff. I smile to those who cross my path and welcome them.

I scan the lobby for the investor's representative that had come to my office last week to arrange the meeting, I couldn't see him either. That's odd. He said the company is very eager to invest in the hotel business, yet they don't show up. I walk back to my office and continue to work. Awaiting for a phone call to stop my thoughts from wondering afar, a phone call that explains the investors absence. I continue to work and keep in mind of positive thoughts.

...

"So how are you?" Rayana asked. I looked at her and sighed. Trying to decide to tell her the truth or not.

"I am fine," I replied, with a pithy smile. I looked away, away from her scrutinizing eyes and worried expression.

"I don't believe you Amal. Why don't you tell me the truth, you can always share with me..."

"So how's Murat?" I asked, interjecting her, finally getting the courage to look back at her.

"Murat is well," She replied.

"When is he coming back from his trip?" I asked, hoping my plan works by deviating from our previous conversation.

"After my bridal shower," She replied in a flat tone.

"I know what you're doing. I am not dumb to fall for it all the time," She said and her eyes narrowed.

"What?" I asked.

"Never mind. Well I asked to meet you for coffee because I wanted to talk to you about something..." She paused.

"Rayana if it's about Maya. I told you..."  She cut me off before I finished;

"No no it's not about that," She said, shaking her head disapprovingly. "It's about your cousin. Well our cousin."

"Rayana we have many cousins you'll have to be more specific," I leaned forward and waited for her response. Curiosity took over.

"Our cousin that is a famous swimmer," She spoke quickly and in a low tone.

"What?"

"Imad! I am talking about Imad!"

"What about him?" I asked and leaned back on the chair.

"I am inviting him for my wedding," She said and got a hold of my hand. 

"No," I replied heartlessly.

"Yes," She said. I kept quiet and looked at her. "I already sent him the invite. Maybe he won't show up."

"He better not."

"Amal it's been four years..." She said in a low tone.

"I don't want to talk about him," I told her in a stern tone.

"Well in that case, have you ordered for the flowers for the bridal shower?" She asked, changing the subject.

"Yes," I said.

"And what about my bridal shower dress? Is it ready to be picked up?"

"Not yet," I replied. We spent the rest of the evening talking about the wedding and anything related to the wedding. We drank our coffee and we talked. I couldn't stop thinking about Imad. What if he does show up? I swore never to speak to him again. He's done nothing but...

"Amal!" My attention was averted to Rayana. I look up from my coffee and look at her.
"Murat and I are planing to go to Greece for our honeymoon and then New York."

"Why New York?" I asked her.

"Why not? Plus Murat promised me he would take me and let me shop my heart out. As a wedding present you know," Rayana squealed with exhilaration.

"You'll probably max out his card," I said.

"That's plan," She said and winked.