Lollipops - Chapter 23

Naomi didn't know what exactly to say.

'This is about Sirius.'

The words that James spoke echoed through her head, and she began to think. What could James possibly have to say to her regarding his best mate? In order to find out, Naomi questioned the boy who sat in front of her:

"Sirius?" She mused, perplexed by the situation. "You want to talk about Sirius?"

James hesitantly nodded, and Naomi frowned, but nonetheless, she beckoned her head for him to continue, very much interested.

"Listen, you seem like a really nice person, but," James rushed, "you need to stay away from Sirius."

Naomi was surprised. The words that escaped James' lips were baffling. Thoughts began to maneuver their way around Naomi's head—possibilities and doubts. Had Sirius informed James of their secret friendship? Was James dissatisfied by mentioned friendship? Was this why he wanted to talk to her—to express his disapproval?

Though, Naomi's expression stated that she was not, in fact, caught up in her own tornado of thoughts:

"What?" She dumbly asked, her expression blank with the slightest tint of confusion.

James looked regretful—guilty.

"Okay, erm, if you're going to understand where I'm coming from, then you have to listen to me," James said hastily, and Naomi slightly moved her head in agreement, a little hesitant. "Alright. So, last night, I found out that you and Sirius were together in the school Kitchens by the Marau—I mean, through my sources," She raised her eyebrows, but he avoided her gesture of confusion and carried on, "Anyways, I figured out that you and Sirius are probably, well, hooking up,"

Naomi's eyes bulged. "Woah, woah, woah!"

James grimaced. "Let me finish," he persisted. "The reason I'm saying this is, you seem like a great girl, and, seeing as you're so kind to everyone, I just wanted to tell you: Sirius is, well, not a, erm, reliable person to, per say, hang around, if you're a, erm, pretty girl," Naomi ignored the indirect compliment, "And so, if you and Sirius are hanging out, then I hate to warn you, but the chances of it ending well are low. Sirius uses girls. And, I know that you're an amazing, sweet person, who doesn't deserve to be put under the pain and misery that Sirius just may cause you."

Following after James'... brutal words was silence. Though, not long after, Naomi openly expressed both her disbelief and disagreement.

"Well, I can't deny that, that speech of your's was most shocking. I mean, Sirius is your best friend," Naomi bit her lip hesitantly as James clinged on to her words. "It seems kind of wrong for you to meddle in his private relationship—friendship, that is, because we are not hooking up, as you thought. However, I do understand where your concern is coming from; Sirius does have quite a reputation, after all,"

James dryly chuckled, and Naomi briefly offered a smile before she continued.

"Though, regardless of your concern, I want you to know that, I don't need to be warned. I'm not a pig being sent to slaughter. I am aware of the reputation Sirius has, yes, but I am also aware of where I stand. And," she hesitantly said, "I trust Sirius. With my heart."

Naomi wanted to fidget in her seat, but she easily kept her cool. Without further ado, James responded, "That word you used—'friendship'. You and Sirius—you're friends? Genuine, real-life friends?"

Naomi reluctantly nodded. "Yes, we are. We have been for a while,"

James leaned back in his chair and ran a hand through his messy, brown hair. "Why wasn't I aware of this? Who else knows this?"

"Not many know," Naomi answered the latter question, ignoring the first one. James didn't realize, though.

"Oh." James blankly stated. "Well, I just seem like a terrible best friend to Sirius right now, don't I." It wasn't a question, just a statement.

Naomi lightly smiled. "No, not in my eyes. It was very sweet of you, looking out for someone that you hardly even know. And, just because I seem like a nice person, too. You had the right intentions, just the wrong idea. But, for that, I'll give you your credit."

James was in shock by Naomi's acceptance, though he looked a little relieved by her words. "Thanks, Serdeys. You're... something else," She chuckled and stood up, and he chuckled as well before following her lead and standing up. Naomi turned around to leave, but as she began to do so, James called after her. "Wait," he called, and she turned around. "I appreciate your acceptance towards my actions, but can this conversation just stay between us? I don't think that Sirius would be quite... forgiving, if he finds out what I've done,"

Naomi grinned. At first, she didn't answer, and instead began to shuffle through her school bag. Though, when her hand emerged, out came a lollipop in it, which she tossed to James. He caught it on instinct, due to his speedy Quidditch 'superstar' instincts. He peered down at the candy in confusion, and she offered a simple explanation. "Don't stress."

Slowly, a goofy grin formed on his face. "Thanks," he paused, contemplating something. "Naomi,"

She beamed, and side by side, the two left the Library and went their seperate ways, Naomi heading late for class, and James blatantly skipping class. A new friendship was forming, and it'd later prove to be for the better.

————–

Hi! This is a very short chapter, but I wanted to focus on only one main event.

Anyways, it's exactly 12:00 as I write this, meaning that it's officially Christmas Eve! Yay! I'm so glad that the Break has begun. This means goodbye to boring and lame 10:30p.m. as my bedtime, and hello to 2:00 a.m.!

I'm in the mood for some Remus Lupin love stories, so I guess I'll see you in the next chapter!

Q: What's one thing you know for sure you got for Christmas this year?
A: Clothes. Every single year I get them. Though, my mom ordered them off of some really beautiful website this time, so I'm very excited!

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year filled with joy, peace, and love!

Love,
     Manny