Lollipops - Chapter 41

Although this news did greatly relieve her, she knew that things weren't over yet when she'd heard Drew whisper in a dry voice. "I need water,"

"Ah, yes," Regulus said happily. With the shell-like cup in his hand, he ran over to the lake and dipped the cup into the water. He rushed back to Drew, "Here."

Drew downed it in one gulp. He said desperately, "I need more."

Regulus nodded in understanding and rushed back to the lake. He was in a crouching position, with his hand dipped into the lake. Suddenly, Regulus let out a mortified scream.

Naomi jumped in alarm. "What? What's wrong?"

He lifted his arm, and he revealed a gaunt, skinny hand clutched around his wrist. Someone was in the lake, and they were trying to prevent Regulus from leaving. Regulus, with a horrified face, repeatedly slapped the hand until it finally let go of him.

"What was that?" Naomi exclaimed in alarm, rushing over to Regulus.

"I don't know," Regulus said with fear. "We have to get out of here, quick!"

But before they could even take one step, she noticed that the person was standing up from the lake, slowly walking towards them like a zombie. It was a little boy, short and skinny. He looked soulless, and Naomi was certain that this was not an ordinary human.

"Blimey!" Naomi gasped. "What is that?"

"I don't know." Regulus fearfully admitted, squinting to see the figure.

They weren't even able to figure it out before they noticed that another figure was emerging from the water. This one was a woman. She was tall and skinny too, like the boy. She, too, had a zombie-like appearance to her that didn't make her look ordinary.

"Merlin's beard," Regulus exclaimed, his grey eyes shining with fear. "These—These are Inferi!"

Naomi gasped with utter horror. She didn't know what Inferi were to the full extent, but they had very briefly gone over the topic in class, which was enough for her to know well enough what it was. They were the people that Voldemort had killed; he was using their dead bodies to be his defenders. Naomi's stomach dropped to her feet at such a horrific, demonic thought.

"We have to get away," she frantically shook Regulus' arm.

It took Regulus a bit to tear his eyes away from the horrific sight. More Inferi steadily rised from beneath the lake, before he hastily nodded and determinedly looked at Naomi.

"Naomi," he sternly clutched her shoulder and raised his voice. "No matter what happens, I want you to get out of here. Go get the boat, while I'll try to drag Drew there. If the Inferi get to us first, then—"

"Regulus, don't talk like that," Naomi furiously shouted. "We came here together, we're all going to leave together. I won't leave either of you behind!"

Regulus opened his mouth to object, but Naomi pushed him in the direction of Drew.

"Go!"

He stumbled a bit but regained his stance, nodding at Naomi and running towards Drew. She sighed and determinedly turned around to the direction of the boat. Could she get there before the Inferi? It was a huge risk, but it was worth a shot. She had to try.