Chapter 15

"UUOOOOHHHHH!!!"

Hinata's and Nishinoya's shouts brought Tsukiko and most of the volleyball members out of their trances. "Vice President-san!! That was amazing!!" The small middle blocker exclaimed. Nishinoya nodded vigorously in agreement, "Yeah! That was super cool what you said back there!"

Snapping out of her confusion and going straight into embarrassment, Tsukiko clasped her hands together and looked down. "I-It was r-really nothing! I-I-I just s-said what I b-believe is a-all..."

"No..." Her eyes snapped up to meet Tanaka's. "It wasn't nothing! You defended our volleyball club! Thanks!" With that, he bowed deeply with the rest of the members following suit. "Thank you for your support!" Tsukiko's face reddened further, if that were even possible.

"P-Please raise your h-heads! I-It was r-really no p-problem!" She frantically waved her hands in dismissal. It was normally her doing the bowing and she was completely unaccustomed to the other way around.

Ukai interrupted, "Well, in any case, you're staying for the practice, right?" She nodded and Daichi clapped his hands together to get the members' attention. "Let's show the Student Council what we're made of!" He was met with shouts of determination and excitement. The members were back to a normal practice in no time at all, and Tsukiko seated herself next to the manager on the bench.

"E-Excuse me. M-May I s-sit here?" Kiyoko gave a slight nod of acceptance and Tsukiko looked on at the 6-on-6 scrimmage. She was once again entranced by their playing when her attention came back to the manager. "Thank you for your kind words..." Kiyoko said in a quiet voice. Becoming flustered from being acknowledged by such a beautiful upperclassman, Tsukiko could do nothing but nod frantically.

"Not just for giving us a chance either. You seem to have fired up some of our members." The third-year smiled while looking at the match. It seemed as though the excitable members were even more excitable today. The shy first-year could easily see the shine of pride in the manager's eyes, even past the glasses. Tsukiko continued to look on at their practice.

The red team, indicated by the red pinnies they wore, had just scored a point and all of the members were rearranging themselves on the court to prepare for the next play. During this period, Tanaka and Nishinoya glanced at the girls talking on the bench.

"Ooooohh!! Kiyoko-san is talking, and smiling, and her lips are moving!!" They said in unison. Nishinoya continued, "Man, that 'Ojou-President' is really something! First, she stands up for us and now she's getting Kiyoko-san to talk so much. As expected of your future girlfriend, Ryu! Nice receive!"

Tanaka blushed furiously and waved his hands around, frantically gazing between the two girls behind him and Nishinoya. "N-Noya-san! I told you it's not like that! What'll you do if she hears you!"

Meanwhile, the second-year trio stared at the duo in slight confusion. "Did he just try to combine 'Ojou-sama' and Vice President...?" "And isn't it supposed to be she's a 'good catch' not 'Nice receive'?" "He's treating this just like a volleyball match again..."

The practice went on and it eventually came time for them to clean up. Tanaka was working up the courage to go and speak with Tsukiko, but for some reason, this was even more difficult than talking with Kiyoko for the first time.

Hinata seemed to do it easily with his cheery nature. "Ah! Vice President-san! Is that our report?" The girl jumped at his sudden shout. "N-no, I'm n-not really in ch-charge of this s-stuff. I just t-took down some n-notes to l-let the p-presidents know h-how the volleyball club is d-doing..."

"Uuoooh!! Your notes are so pretty and neat!"

Like her. The thought entered the second-year wing spiker's mind so easily, it even surprised him. It gave him a jolt. Of course! How could he be letting his underclassmen best him? This was no time to be dilly-dallying! He was even more resolved to go talk to the girl, but was interrupted by her attempt to address the entire club.

"U-Um! Thank you f-for letting me w-watch your p-practice, and I-I apologize for a-any inconveniences." She gave her signature bow and ended, "E-excuse me!" She dashed out of the gym with her notes.

No, he couldn't let this chance slip by. Tanaka raced after her. His reaction was fast enough and he easily caught up to her. "Kita-san!" She spun around in surprise, still with a light blush. Her surprised face caught Tanaka off guard, not expecting her to look so cute.

He was momentarily at a loss for words, "U-Uh...U-Um...L-Let me walk you home! I-It's already dark out, and it's dangerous for a cute girl like you to walk out by herself!" Oh, god. Did he really say that cute part out loud?

Just before he was about to apologize for imposing, Tsukiko's small voice was heard. "...I-If you're o-okay with th-that...th-then please d-do. I-I would l-like...that..." She slowly faded out, embarrassed at her own words.

Tanaka continued to stare at her wide-eyed and his extended gaze was beginning to make her fidget. "I'll wait for you by the gates!" He shouted before he could lose his nerves and went back into the gym to finish cleaning up, his right hand clutching his chest over his heart while he went.

Tsukiko's eyes followed him until he couldn't be seen anymore. When he was finally out of sight, she let out a breath that she didn't know she was holding. Her right hand lightly clutched her chest over her heart, and she went on her way to the Student Council room.

.

.

.

Tanaka was walking out of the school along with the rest of his teammates, but stopped at the gates. Sugawara turned around and asked, "Hmm? You're staying back Tanaka?"

"Ah, yeah. I'm gonna walk Kita-san home. It's dangerous for her to walk alone at night." Sugawara and Daichi glanced at each other and smirked at Tanaka, causing him to blush a little.

"Ooooohhh!! Nice Ryu!! How manly!" Nishinoya smiled excitedly.

"Be safe." Daichi pat his shoulder.

"Hehe, maybe you can even hold her hand on the way back?" Sugawara teased with his closed-eyes grin.

"Eh? The Vice President is Tanaka's girlfriend? Wow..." Asahi looked at him with amazement.

"Hmm, I don't think they're quite at that point in their relationship yet." Ennoshita snickered.

"Y-You guys!!" Tanaka yelled in indignation.

"T-Tanaka-senpai!! Fight!" Hinata wasn't exactly sure of what was going on, but Tanaka had always cheered him on. The least the young crow could do was do the same for his upperclassman. "Hinata, even you?!?!" The second-year shouted in disbelief. At least the boy had good intentions.

"U-Umm..." Everyone looked at the shy girl who had just arrived. Tanaka paled a bit, wondering just how much of that she had heard. Amongst a series of chuckles and snickers, "Well, that's our cue. Have fun, you two!" And with that, Tanaka and Tsukiko were left alone to walk together.