Chapter 16

Tap, tap, tap.

The first half of the walk was silent, save for the sounds of their footsteps. This was because of Tsukiko's timidity and Tanaka's indecision on a conversation topic.

Seeing some of the street posts and houses, he recognized that they were closely approaching her home. With the fear of running out of time, he finally settled with what happened today.

"H-Hey, umm...about what you did for us today. I know we thanked you already, but I wanted to do it again, personally. Seriously, thank you for that. It really meant a lot to know that people still think we can be strong. And you let us keep our club space too!"

She avoided eye contact as usual, but it seemed slightly different from her normal embarrassment this time. There was a twinge of guilt? "A-about that..." She delved into the story.

.

.

.

"Oh! Ki-chan, you're back!" Tsukiko bowed to the two presidents. "I-I would like t-to give my r-review of the v-volleyball club."

Hanamura slowly turned her head to glare at Matsumoto, assuming that he gave her his job when that was the very thing she told him not to do.

"A-ah! Prez, don't get mad! Hear me out first!" He pleaded, putting both hands up in a surrendering motion. She said nothing and nodded for him to go on, keeping her icy glare.

"Ahem!" He coughed awkwardly, still fearful of the female president. "Well, Ki-chan, there's a little something I was keeping from you, and I'll apologize for that if you want me to." She tilted her head in confusion.

He continued, putting one hand on the desk and leaning sideways next to Hanamura, "I had planned on letting the volleyball club keep their space since they are using it properly. That whole thing about shoving them out because of their poor performance in tournaments was a lie. I mean, some sports clubs might actually get mad, but so far, there are no room conflicts. I was just bluffing the whole time. Sorry!" He clapped and held his hands together while bowing his head with his apology.

Tsukiko stared at him, mouth agape. "Ah! And all of those horrible things I said about the club and its members...I was just trying to play the bad guy! It doesn't mean anything, so please continue thinking of me as your kind-hearted senpai!" He held up two fingers in a peace sign. "Would you mind apologizing to them for me and tell them I didn't mean any of it?"

Hanamura smacked his hand down. "OW! Preeeeeezzzz, that huuuurt!" He yelped, rubbing the smacked hand. "Why don't you apologize to them yourself, you imbecile!" She sighed and rubbed the space between her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose, hoping to alleviate the stress and stupidity brought on by her Co-President.

"W-Why?" Tsukiko was finally able to ask after much time spent processing this information. Hanamura looked to him for answers as well.

"Hmm? Oh, right! I just wanted to see how you would react. This was a good learning experience for you, right? Sooner or later, you'll need to make similar difficult decisions for yourself if you stay in the Student Council. Think of today like a trial period! 'Student Council members must be able to properly assess the situation, even if opinions on the matter are at conflict!'" He quoted the last part from his female counterpart, for once taking her advice.

"...I-I see..." Although she understood where he was coming from, did he really have to go so far? The boys of the volleyball club were incredibly offended!