Chapter 33

*Clink*

Tsukiko's chopsticks clinked together against her lunchbox. It seemed as though she were in her own little world with a lifeless expression, absentmindedly shoveling food into her mouth.

Yachi knew that Tsukiko was quiet just by nature, but there was nothing like this depressing and deafening silence. She had heard of the volleyball team's loss, but she had no idea that it would affect her friend like so.

Very few words were exchanged between the two, the most verbal interaction being normal greetings such as 'Good morning.' Throughout the morning classes, Yachi could faintly feel the gloomy aura surrounding the shy girl. It's not like she usually participated much in class, but this time she made an effort not to be noticed, only catching attention when the teacher called on her.

Today, even the classmates that barely knew she existed could feel something off. Some looked on with concern and others in confusion. The extra stares didn't even faze Tsukiko, seeing as she hadn't even noticed. She was so absorbed in her thoughts, she didn't have the time to be embarrassed.

Lunchtime came around and Yachi finally got the chance to properly speak to the girl. "K-Kita-chan...?" The sound of her name prompted Tsukiko to lift her head. She met the eyes of a very concerned blonde.

The girl jolted a little in shock. "I-I'm sorry Yachi-chan! D-Did you say s-something?" The blonde frowned a bit more. Even Tsukiko's shocked expressions and apologies didn't hold as much impact as they usually did.

She shook her head in response. "No! It's just...are you alright?" Tsukiko paused and sighed. She put down her chopsticks completely and placed the lid over her lunchbox, not seeming to have an appetite.

"S-Sorry for w-worrying you. I'm j-just thinking a-about..." Unable to finish her thought, she looked down again with a slightly pained expression. Yachi placed her own chopsticks down.

"I heard about the volleyball team...b-but it's okay! They still have the Spring High Tournament, right?" She grew a bit more excited, having remembered about the other sports competition and hoping that she found something that would lift her friend's spirits.

"...I-I guess." Tsukiko replied unenthusiastically. Yachi's excitement deflated at her dull response. She didn't expect her friend to completely brighten at the news, but she also didn't expect her to be so unresponsive.

Maybe it wasn't so much the loss that she was upset about, but something else? Yachi's eyes widened marginally.

"You're not upset about the team's loss..." She absentmindedly whispered. It was merely a statement and an observation that she had just made, but Tsukiko mistook the words to be an accusation.

She frantically shook her head in denial. "I-I am! I am u-upset about the l-loss. It's j-just...um..." The shy girl looked down again, but this time it was in embarrassment.

Yachi leaned in towards the girl and whispered, as if to shield their conversation from outside ears. "C-Could it be about...Tanaka-senpai?" Her friend offered no response, but the creeping blush upon her face was more than enough of an answer.

The blonde gasped, her suspicions confirmed. "Did something happen!??" Shaking her head and waving her hands about, Tsukiko denied anything. "N-Nothing happened! W-We just..." She hesitated to divulge any information, but ultimately decided to tell her about what happened immediately after their loss to Seijoh.

At the end of her accounts of what occurred, even Yachi held a small blush on her cheeks. "So, are you two dating now?" She was still whispering for some reason, leaning in very closely to Tsukiko.