Chapter 24

BAM!

"OOOOHHH YEAAAAHHHH!! HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW, TSUKISHIMA?!" The second-year wing spiker taunted the tallest member of the team after having spiked past his block.

"Uooohh! Yeah, Tsukishima, how do you like him now?!?" Hinata chimed in. The blond boy just scowled, clicking his tongue in annoyance and already started heading back to prepare for the next serve.

"Nice, Tanaka! You're on fire today! Did something good happen?" Sugawara asked, patting the boys back.

The second-year trio snickered. "I bet I can guess what happened! Hey, Narita, you thinking what I'm thinking?" Kinoshita teased. The boy in question chuckled, "Yeah, definitely!"

Ennoshita decided to join in on the fun, "Probably something to do with a certain first-year I bet..." The three lined up, formed hearts with their hands, and made kissy faces coupled with smooching noises.

Not being used to such blatant teasing about his girl troubles, Tanaka blushed furiously. "Kn-Knock it off, you guys!!" He shouted, trying to chase after them.

Sugawara held a surprised look, "Eh!? Tanaka, you're dating Kita-san now?" Flinching, Tanaka replied, "N-No! Not exactly..."

At his lackluster response, Asahi grew worried. "Oh no! Did the date not go well?" Nishinoya shouted, "The date went great because of me!" He pointed his thumb at himself, holding his chest out with pride.

Daichi sighed with relief. "Well, that's good to hear! But if the date went well, why aren't you guys dating? Did you not ask her out?" Ennoshita choked back a laugh. "Oh, he asked her out..."

Some members held looks of confusion, some held looks of shock, and some held looks of awe. Nishinoya blinked in realization. "Oh yeah! Guys! We've got to win against Datekou and Seijoh so Ryu can get a girlfriend!!"

"Why would that get him a girlfriend?" The captain questioned. Tanaka fidgeted and rubbed the back of his neck. "...I sort of made a deal that if we won against them, then she'd go out with me..." He sheepishly answered.

The third-year members stared at him with their mouths agape. Hinata's eyes sparkled and dashed up to the second-year. "Amazing, Tanaka-senpai!!! We'll definitely win against them and go to nationals!!"

"Wha-n-now just hang on a minute! Why would you go and say something like that?!? Couldn't you have just asked her out normally?? What if we don't actually win against them?!?" Sugawara exclaimed, showing deep concern like the mother hen that he is. The other third-years nodded in agreement, thinking that Tanaka may have been too rash in his declaration.

"What are you saying, Suga-san!? You don't think we can beat them?" Nishinoya frowned. The first-years, namely Hinata and Yamaguchi, looked at their seniors with worry. If their upperclassmen didn't think they could go to nationals, that really meant something.

"N-No, that's not what I meant!! I was just worried about Tanaka! Uh, right guys?" The setter looked to his fellow third-years, not able to properly articulate himself and seeking help. Sugawara didn't actually believe they would lose. It was just that he believed there were better ways for Tanaka to approach girls.

Trying to help, Daichi spoke, "Yeah, we didn't mean it that way. We just figured that maybe there could've been a...more secure way of asking her out...?" He hesitated, wondering if this was the best explanation.

The libero, however, didn't ease up and continued to press on. "So, you do think we can win, right?" Daichi nodded passionately. "Of course, I do! Nobody goes into a competition intending to lose!"