Chapter 31

GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, SEIJOH! 

PUSH IT, PUSH IT, PUSH IT, PUSH IT, PUSH IT, SEIJOH!

Somehow, these cheers made Tsukiko feel even worse than Datekou's. Datekou most certainly had support, but Seijoh felt like they had even more if that was even possible. Maybe it had something to do with this 'Oikawa' person?

His support wasn't unwarranted though. Even as a complete novice and with her limited knowledge of the sport, Tsukiko could still tell that this 'Oikawa' was an amazing player.

Karasuno wasn't exactly doing poorly, but they weren't in a good spot either. They seemed to barely be hanging on, precariously balancing on a four or five point difference right from the get-go.

Tsukiko's negative thoughts were banished as soon as she heard Tanaka's loud voice. "SORYAAA!! TAKE THAT!" His spike blew past the block, earning the team a very much needed point. He was completely pumped, helping to boost the entire team's morale.

Tsukiko furiously shook her head to rid herself of all the negativity. How could she have gotten disheartened so easily? This is Karasuno that we're talking about! She knew just how strong they could be – she'd seen it firsthand many times.

Of course, it would be Tanaka to always keep his chin up. She gently smiled, being reminded of just how amazing he is. Gaining some courage from his influence, Tsukiko held up her hands to cup around her mouth. "N-Nice kill!" She slightly shouted.

With Tanaka's ears like a hawk, he easily caught her cheers and flashed her a confident smile. There was a small tint of pink on Tsukiko's cheeks, and she pumped her fists a little in front of her to strengthen her resolve.

Her smile fell as soon as Tanaka turned around to re-focus on the game.

Although she had faith in Karasuno, there was just something...unsettling. No matter what she did, Tsukiko couldn't shake off this bad feeling. She gripped hard at the railings, hoping that her fears were irrational and that she was just being paranoid.

That wasn't the case.

That unsettling, bad feeling she had was soon answered. Once again, Tsukiko worried about how scary Oikawa could be. Every time he had targeted Tanaka, Tsukiko clenched the railings tighter. Every time Tanaka scowled in frustration at a misplay, Tsukiko bit her lip harder.

Even when the wing spiker was able to get the ball in the air, it was immediately shut down again by the other players of Seijoh. Karasuno had already called a time-out because of the problem.

Tanaka was slightly getting the hang of receiving Oikawa's serves, but it was just barely enough to keep the ball in the air. He managed to get another one in the air but not to the setter. Hinata had to cover and he passed it back to Tanaka to spike.

Quiet.

Tsukiko's eyes widened. Something wasn't right. It was too quiet. That wasn't how it was supposed to be. He was supposed to call out for the ball. He was supposed to yell to intimidate his opponent.

But he didn't.

The spike was firmly shut out by the opponent team, forcing another time-out from Karasuno.

Tsukiko felt her stomach drop. The color from her face was gone.

Tanaka was walking to the bench, obviously crestfallen. All of his earlier enthusiasm was missing. His shoulders were a bit slumped. There was a deep scowl on his face.

Frustration? Guilt? Anguish?

Tsukiko couldn't even begin to imagine what he was feeling right now. She had never seen him like this before. The Tanaka that she knew was always happy, always loud, always ready to make her day or anybody else's.