xii. DARKNESS LOOMING

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

DARKNESS LOOMING

BY HER BEST AND MOST ACCURATE CALCULATIONS, THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS WAS NEARING KINGS CROSS. She had probably thirty minutes with Adeline and Dominic before she would be whisked away back into that empty, pristine house with nothing to do all day because there was no way in hell that Alistair would allow her friends over after they accidentally broke a window when playing Quidditch together that one time, and it wasn't like she was going to talk to Greer.

          She probably needed to, but Greer had been a tricky little thing ignoring her ever since Sirius completely ruined their study session. Greer seemed like the silent treatment would be a great way to make Morgan realize her mistake with hanging out around the "wrong crowd" but it just infuriated her more and made her want to continue being near them...which wasn't something she thought she would ever say.

          Besides, Greer would probably have Carmichael and Nicolai over and Morgan wanted to avoid them as much as possible. They didn't want to see her, because they still thought of her as impure and a disgrace of the great Slytherin house, and she wanted to burn them alive so it was better to just stay away. If she did end up burning them alive, there would be major consequences and Morgan was much too young for that.

          "Are you really sure that Alistair won't let you visit?" Adeline pouted, looking at her friend.

          Morgan shrugged. "I don't know," she admitted, "But you know he barely let Greer and I leave the house during summer – the paranoid fuck – and he's not exactly happy with how we broke that window. So I doubt he'll let you two come over and he'll probably still have us on lockdown."

          Adeline groaned. "I can't go three weeks without you, I'll die!"

          Dominic snorted. "And you call me the dramatic one," he muttered to himself, but since Adeline was sitting beside him she heard it and jabbed him harshly in the ribcage, causing him to yelp. She looked satisfied with herself after.

          "I can be as dramatic as I want about this because if I don't go and see you guys my parents will ask me why I'm not getting the highest grades of our class and berate me," Adeline snapped at him, "Besides, you are the dramatic one."

          Dominic looked pretty guilty after her explanation, but he didn't want to admit it, that damn pride eating him alive like it did Morgan herself, so he just took Adeline's hand and squeezed. Adeline seemed like she appreciated the gesture because she didn't say anything about it and Morgan knew that it was time to change the conversation.

          "I mean, I can ask Helen and maybe she'll let me," Morgan shrugged, "She usually does, but if Alistair is in the room her attitude completely changes."