Chapter 42

Monday morning arrived too soon. My fist slammed down on the snooze button before the third shrill had passed. I was still tired from the weekend, not having driven Maible home until late Sunday and now my body was regretting the lack of sleep.

I stopped by the kitchen on my way out, knowing if I didn't hurry, I wouldn't get my java fix before homeroom. Mrs. Renaldi's cheerful demeanor was always infectious and I couldn't slink away without an ear-to-ear smile whenever we spoke. I knew she took care of Onyx when I wasn't there, making sure she got walked and given plenty of attention.

"Enjoy your coffee," she said with a wink.

"I don't have any coffee—oh. Right."

"Can't fool me," she said. "Don't worry, I would go if I could, and I don't even drink the stuff."

"Don't tell Miss Rose."

"I said you couldn't fool me, dear, not that I am a fool." Mrs. Renaldi chuckled. "Have a good day at school and I will have some snacks ready for you and Miss Maible when you get home."

"Oh, is Maible coming over?"

"If she doesn't, you will have to ruin your supper," she warned.

"Alright then. Maible is coming over after school." I nodded before I picked up my bag and kissed her rosy cheek good-bye.

"Drive safe."

"Always do. See you!"

The car purred to life with the barest of sound and I inputted Maible's address into the vehicle's electronic navigational system. I'd only been there twice, and that was with direction. Wickenton was small, but I didn't relish the thought of getting lost and missing out on my coffee fix.

The drive was quiet. Anyone passing through would assume that they were going through a ghost town, and I didn't see a soul until I turned onto Maible's street. Here I saw parents waiting with their children at bus stops, children heading off with their bikes and school bags, and cars being piled to capacity as people carpooled. Every house on the street was identical to one another, and if she hadn't been outside already, sitting on the steps to wait, I may have missed it.

She opened the passenger side door, juggling coffee mugs and her school bag. She looked rested and cheerful as she smiled her greeting. "Thanks for picking me up."

"No worries." I smiled and then yawned.

"You wore your hair up," she said. "You don't like your haircut?"

The surprise she'd negotiated had been a trip to her place where her mom owned a hair salon out of an addition at the back of their home. It only took a moment to explain the surprise, but over an hour to talk me into it.

In the end, I'd chosen subtlety. Her mom had altered my straight-as-nails hair from it's even cut to a transmuted version that fell in waves to the bottom of my shoulder blades, lush and full. I'd even gotten bangs.

"A ponytail is easy, and I slept in." I shrugged, not admitting that was usually the case and she'd best get used to the ponytail. "I still love the haircut, though."

It wasn't a lie, either. With the purple of my eyes growing more prominent each day and my new hair, I was pleased each time I passed a mirror that I was becoming more and more like my mom. There was nothing wrong with liking that.

"I brought you coffee," she said, holding out an Olympic-sized travel mug.

"You are a God." I took a grateful swig and closed my eyes to savor the effect the caffeine had on my senses. The smell alone... Oh, it was good. "Now I'm awake."