Chapter 44

"I've heard something disturbing, Nora," Devland said over breakfast the next morning.

"My name is Noreena, Devland," I said, picking at the bacon and eggs in front of me. Obviously, he'd skipped going into the office to talk. My 'you're-in-for-a-lecture' radar blasted through my nerves.

"Why do people think that you have no powers?"

"Because they are simple-minded fools?" I raised my head to meet his gaze.

"This isn't a joke," Devland snapped, flinging his fork onto his plate hard enough to make me wonder how it didn't bounce off. He narrowed his eyes at me. "How do you think this makes me look with the Council? If the community thinks that I have a powerless child, they may think that I am not fit to be a part of the Council, never mind its leader. It's shameful."

"Whatever, Devland," I said, rolling my eyes. It was more shameful that he cared. "I've never told anyone anything one way or the other about my powers."

"You have a duty."

"My only duty is to be true to myself. Don't equate my lack of use of magic for ignorance. That is not something I was allowed growing up, though mom at least respected my decisions regarding not practicing the Craft. Nobody can force someone to do something that they do not wish to do, least of all you." I stood and placed my napkin onto my plate.

"Noreena, you cannot let people think you're weak."

"Then why don't you make an announcement?" Not even Devland could force a person to use their magic.

"Noreena—"

"Not using my powers doesn't make me weak. It makes me resolute. As a father, the fact that I'm unwilling to compromise myself should make you happy. Besides, magic isn't about showing off, or have you forgotten that?"

"It is meant to be shared and cherished. That is not the same thing as showing off," he said, though I knew he didn't feel that way—he'd already revealed too much for me to think otherwise.

"Whatever you say." I waved goodbye as I walked towards the stairs.

"I expect this to be cleared up, Noreena. Soon."

I grabbed my bag and left to get Maible, already dressed for school in jeans and a zipped hoody. I was sick of arguing over magical expectations. Wickenton should have a large greeting at its borders to say, "Welcome to Wickenton—leave now or have the life sucked right out of you."

Exhausted, I drank all my coffee and half of Maible's after I'd picked her up. The argument with Devland at breakfast, I feared, had set the mood for the day to come. The sky agreed with low-hanging clouds that blotted out the sun, and no amount of caffeine could make it better.

When we arrived at Grimas, there were huge crowds of students and teachers gathered around the doors of the school. The janitors were walking around, shaking their heads, and Mr. Corbin looked as though he was about to explode, he was so red with anger as he stomped around demanding answers.

"What's going on?" Maible asked a group of students while we trudged into the chaos.

"Nobody can get into the school, I guess." A girl in a pink sweater shrugged. She raised her eyes to meet my gaze and tinkled with laughter. "There's been another prank."

The group laughed in my direction. I walked away from their accusatory behavior, leaving Maible hurrying to catch up. We made it halfway across the grounds before Mr. Corbin found a megaphone to announce that classes would be canceled for the day so that a locksmith could be called. His eyes roamed the students and teachers clustered about until they met mine, and he grimaced. Picking the megaphone back up, he advised everyone that class would resume tomorrow, and a full investigation would be started to find out who had been behind the prank. Again, he met my gaze, snickered in condemnation, and then turned away.