Chapter 53

I sat at the easel in art class, finally painting again. Every picture I'd drawn, every project I'd submitted, had been a variation of the painting perched in front of me now. Mrs. Martin had blessedly remained quiet about the similarities in my submissions and I couldn't help but wonder if she knew I had to work through this alone. My grades, thankfully, had been judged as though each was unique.

Until I'd picked up the paintbrush, I hadn't known what I needed.

Maible's mom had come to get her right after lunch with strict instructions not to return until after the weekend. It was good. The duties of friendship always came in second whenever I was lost in a painting and I didn't want her feelings to be hurt when I couldn't pretend otherwise. Not having to take her home left me free to stay late after school and come in early until it was done.

"That's really cool."

I lost my hold on the brush, nearly ruining what progress I'd made with a dark streak through its center as my hand dropped to my lap. I sighed with relief when it didn't mar the canvas and turned with annoyance to glare at the unwelcome disruption.

"What do you want, Calin?"

"Why are you trying to avoid me?"

He leveled his gaze on me, but I refused to make eye contact. I wanted to look—I really did—but I wasn't willing to risk losing my hold on reality. Not in front of a classroom of students who were, as usual, staring. Even though Duvessa wasn't here, the gossip of Calin seeking me out would reach her by the time she left for the day.

"Why isn't it working?" I countered and stared at the painting.

It was an exact replica of the last painting I had begun and then ruined in Briarville. It seemed so petty now, distant, like a dream. The only difference was the woman whose face had originally been featureless. This version had been painted with my mother in mind and the woman had morphed from a generic figure to a powerful High Priestess who had died much too soon.

"I thought you transferred out of this class?"

"I did," he said.

"Then why are you here?"

"You ran away before we could talk at lunch."

"There's nothing to say, Calin. I told you, I'm fine. My ankle is fine, and I'm handling things with Duvessa just fine," I said without taking a breath. "Was there another prank pulled?"

"No."

"Then we really don't have anything to talk about, do we?" I turned briefly and felt a surge of power as my eyes flashed at him. Since he already knew, there was no reason to hide it.

"Visions don't always have perfect timelines."

"Then I suggest that you run home and tell your mommy that she was wrong—you both were."

"Nora—"

"Just leave me alone, Calin. Please."

"I want to help."

"And you can," I said, "by leaving. You said yourself that I should watch out for Duvessa. How do you think she'll react to this?"

"To what?"

"You, me... to you skipping class to 'talk' with me." I raised my hands for air quotes. The fact that he hadn't realized it—or had ignored it if he did—pissed me off.

"I don't care what Duvessa thinks."

I didn't like her but sympathized with her for having a crappy boyfriend. It made sense that she was worried about girls with Calin if what he said was true. Why stay with someone if you don't care about what they think? "Then you are an even bigger jerk than I've given you credit for."