Chapter 46

It felt like I had just turned out the light when my alarm went off the next morning. It was going to be a long week without being able to rely on Maible for caffeine, and I cursed Miss Rose for the banishment of coffee. Not even Celestial Java was open as I made my way to Grimas, wanting to arrive earlier than my punishment dictated so I'd have time to investigate the first prank.

As soon as I parked, I sent Maible a quick text to tell her she'd be my hero if she'd bring me a mug of java, then ran to the back of the school. The piping system was hidden underneath a set of bleachers surrounding the field. Thankfully, the janitor had already started his day, and the lock on the chain metal fence surrounding the pipes was undone.

The corridor leading to the pipes was dank. The overhead lighting blinked on and off at will and I wished I'd brought a flashlight. The pipes were placed far enough down the tunnel so that they were away from the effects of weather, which meant that the natural light from outside couldn't penetrate the darkness when the lights went off. It took much longer than I had anticipated, but I realized whoever had pulled the prank could've easily managed it without being seen within all the shadows.

Once I reached the main structure, I hesitated. Taking a deep breath in, I held it for a moment and then exhaled. I placed my hand onto the pipes and felt magic as though an electric shock had wired its way up my arm to reach my heart, instantly making me aware in a way that coffee had never done. It was so strong, though I had no clue who it belonged to. I couldn't remember how to figure it out. Had my mother ever told me how to determine that? All I remembered was her saying that it could be done.

"Have you come to check out your handiwork?" A voice called out from the dark behind me, deep and husky.

I jumped with surprise and knocked into the pipes winding into holes through the walls on either side. The noise clanged and my heart nearly stopped. When I realized who had spoken, I blew out a breath and momentarily squeezed my eyes shut. It didn't surprise me that he'd come, just that he'd managed it without being noticed.

"That would be difficult considering I didn't do this," I said and turned around, slowing my breathing as I opened my eyes.

"I know you didn't," Calin said with a smug, I-know-something-you-don't-know look pasted to his too-handsome face.

I turned away, irritated with myself for not knowing he was there. He unnerved me. Why couldn't he be like Trevor, who I had to talk myself into liking? With Calin, I was trying to talk myself out of the attraction. Even then, I wanted to be around him like there was some sort of invisible pull between us that I didn't want.

"What do you know?" I asked.

"A lot more than you're willing to admit," he deadpanned.

"Not about me! You keep harping on the same freaking chord as if you know me, and you don't. You can't." I turned again and met his gaze, taking a deep, cleansing breath. "What do you know about the pranks? Who is pulling them to frame me?"

"I don't know anything. I suspect," he said. "I'm sure that's why you're here, too."

"I thought whoever might have done it may have left something behind," I said, hedging.

He took a hesitant step towards me. "I understand."

"You couldn't possibly."

"I didn't mean to offend you." Calin raised his hands as though in surrender and, even though my words had a bite, he didn't seem the least offended. "I know you didn't do this."

"Calin?" Maybe he would know how to connect the magic to its user, but I had no clue if he even knew about signatures.

"Yeah?"