Chapter 47

A week later, I was done with detention and no more pranks had been pulled. It was enough to make me happy, though I knew if Duvessa was the prankster, she was probably just waiting for me to enjoy my freedom before striking again. Mother Nature was mimicking the great mood I found myself in with a warm and sunny day, not one cloud in the sky. I took that as a good sign and was excited that it was Friday.

Maible came to the Manor, having already cleared it with her parents so she could stay for supper. We played video games neither of us was good at until we were called downstairs. I was still angry at Devland, so Maible and I existed at one end of the table while Devland sat at the opposite. Though he frequently glanced up from his dinner, he never said a word.

It was the best supper we'd shared since I'd been punished unfairly.

"We should get going if we are going to make it on time," I said to Maible, throwing my fabric napkin onto my finished plate of roasted chicken while pushing up from my chair.

Maible nodded and followed my lead, taking one last bite of her food and finishing her soda as she stood.

"Where are you going?" Devland asked.

Maible looked back and forth between us, and then down at the floor. It was her reaction to the tension that caused me to bite the retort that was ready to fly out of my mouth. Too introverted and shy, Maible would find a confrontation difficult, and that is exactly where this conversation would escalate to if I allowed it.

"We're going to the movies to celebrate the fact that I'm done with detention," I said.

"What movie?"

"Um, we thought that we'd just decide that when we got to the theatre," Maible said. "Probably just some chick flick."

"In that case, have a good time." He smiled more out of etiquette than sincerity. It didn't reach his eyes. "Do you need any money?"

"No, I haven't spent any of my allowance yet, so I'm good."

"You don't get an allowance, Noreena," Devland said.

"Of course, I do. Aiden handles my money." I smiled, enjoying his surprise. "Mom made sure I would be taken care of if she died before I turned eighteen, and money shows up in my account each week."

"I didn't know. Well, let me know if you do need anything your allowance doesn't cover, okay?"

"Yep, sure will!" I said and smiled.

He excused himself from the dining room and retreated into his office down the hall. I couldn't help but laugh. It felt so good to take him by surprise.

"You are mean," Maible chastised with a playful punch in the arm.

"He didn't stick up for me with Mr. Corbin, remember? I'm allowed to be mean," I said. "Let's get going so we aren't too late."

We ran out of the house and into the cool air outside, which had turned into a full-blown storm since we'd come home. Thunder rumbled over us and lightning streaked the darkened sky in the distance, the only light as the power suddenly blinked off. The wind picked up as we ran back into the Manor and it took both of us to slam the heavy door closed.

"Uh, I don't think the movies are going to be playing tonight," Maible said, shaking head and squeezing the rain out of her hair.

"You think?" I laughed. I shrugged out of my wet jacket and shoes and huddled them into my arms. "Come on. I have some candles in my room. We can hang here until it dies down and then I'll drive you home."

"I can call my mom to get me."

"No, I can drive you in a bit," I told her. "Besides, I still have a bunch of my mother's boxes to sort through and would love some help. I keep getting too emotional, you know?"