Chapter || Thirty-One

"I'm proud of you for finally setting up your voicemail -"

"Message deleted. Next message."

"Runner, I'm really sorry. I know that doesn't begin to cover the months of -"

"Message deleted. Next message."

"Runner please. I messed up -"

"Message deleted. Next message."

"Please come to my party tonight. We can go somewhere private and talk. I really don't want to go but I'm under contract and I can't miss it . . . I just really want you there plea-"

"Message deleted. Next message."

"I'm begging you to let me explain. Please just come to the party . . . I'll even meet you outside if you don't want to be around people. I just . . . I just really want to talk. I need a chance to explain -"

"Message deleted. Next message."

"The party is going to start in two hours. I really hope you'll come. I told security to let you in. You don't even have to give your last name . . . not that I know it any-"

"Message deleted. Next message."

"I checked with security and no one has seen you. Are you going to show or are you going to stand me up again? That was a joke if you couldn't tell . . . Sorry . . . I hope that you'll come. Runner, I really miss -"

"Message deleted. Next message."

"You're not coming, are you? . . . I didn't think so but I hoped that you would. I just - what the hell? Who let her in here? Runner, I'll call you back."

"Message deleted. Next message."

"*hiccup* Fucking Alyssa Bowman is here. *hiccup* I didn't invited her by the way. I don't like her . . . I like you just to clear the trash you listen to . . . I want to meet you so I can *hiccup* kiss you . . . Is that weird? Is it weird that I want to kiss someone I've never met? *hiccup* It's like a blind date but not really cause we actually know what each other look like . . . *hiccup* . . . Runner, you're beautiful -"

"Message deleted. Next message."

"I now realize why you asked me about ethnicity and my statement still stands . . . I don't look at color when I like a girl *hiccup* and if you can take a hint, which you can't, I mean you being black doesn't change the fact that I like you. I like chocolate *hiccup* Chocolate pudding is my favorite snack . . . Your skin reminds me of chocolate pudding, that's why I said that . . . Looking at you *hiccup* . . . is like looking at a snack . . . I am drunk but that doesn't mean *hiccup* that I don't know what I'm saying . . . Runner please talk to me -"

"Message deleted. Next message."

"Alyssa has been trying to talk to me and touch all over me all night but it just feels wrong. It all feels like I'm *hiccup* cheating on you . . . I just want to be alone with you so we can talk -"

"Message deleted. End of messages."

--   --   --