Chapter 22, Poisonous eyes

"Well, you must be the girl everyone's going on about," the man that just walked in says

He's probably twenty-two and in his exquisitely tailored suit, by far the most attractive man I've ever seen.

But also the scariest.

His broad, million-dollar smile, belongs to a wolf, not a man. And his apple-green eyes represent poison more than anything else. His hair is a dark auburn kind of color and slicked back to perfection. Like if it was anything but neat, it would turn into a dark flame and burn the whole world.

This man. This man is dangerous.

"I didn't even know there was a North-side," I tell him.

"You didn't think that an East- and West-side will have a North and South? I'll admit the South is running a bit low on business at the moment, but the North is stronger than ever. We just don't flaunter everything like those two boys from the West and East," the man says.

"This house looks pretty flauntering," I point out.

"True," the man laughs. It's not a comforting sound and sends chills down my body. His poisonous eyes light up.

I stand there, glaring.

He stands there, smiling.

"I'm sorry, I should probably introduce myself," the man says, "I'm Xavier Jilten, leader of the North-side gang."

I stay quiet.

"And from what I gather, you're Amber Marigold?" Xavier asks.

"I'd like to leave, please," I say because being in the same room as this guy makes me feel intoxicated. Like the very air we're sharing is poisonous.

"So soon?" he asks. His smile turns more feral as he takes a predatory step closer.

I lift the pool stick.

"You better keep your grimy hands away from me," I warn.

"Grimy? My cuff-links probably cost more than your school fees," Xavier says.