UNO

"ma, ya me voy," the youngest of the navarra family yelled to her mother, victoria.

"por favor esperanza, be careful," victoria bellowed from her at home office.
as soon as the door opened, it closed after the short, glasses wearing girl. she had been late to meet up with her friends at the party that was happening a couple of blocks over.

even from half a block away, she was able to hear all the commotion coming from the house that was holding the celebration for seniors. as she walked past the house, she noticed the familiar faces of derek and eva – her older siblings – drinking in front of the party house.

she finally spotted her friends standing on crates, discussing where the glue of the pack was.

"something bad is happening. i can feel it. i knew this was a dumb idea," jamal's anxious state was showing brightly.

"damn, wanna smoke a joint, j?" the short latina asked before climbing up on a crate next to ruby, peering over the wall also.

"we can't see him 'cause he's being stealth," ruby stated rolling his eyes at the anxiety-filled boy.

"no doubt. he's got this. when has cesar ever disappointed?" monse expressed, looking for cesar in the crowd of teenagers.

"mmm, fourth grade. kickball tourney. we lost," jamal declared as he made eye contact with the afro-latina.

"only 'cause i picked the kid with no skills," a voice that was all to familiar stated, making the four turn around, "and i'd pick you again," cesar voiced tossing a can of beer to the tallest of the group.

walking up to the four, he stated, "loyalty trumps victory, compa," handing the rest of the alcohol to everyone else.

"take it in," cesar said as they all skimmed through the crowd. "this is about to be us. this is high school."
the five took a sip of the bitter drink and all made a face of disgust as the bitterness touched their tongues.

"ruby, do you think mario is going to actually marry angelica one day?" esperanza asked the boy to the left of her. when suddenly, her right hand had been caught in cesar's, making her glance down and their intertwined fingers, the ghost of a smile was written on her face.

"no idea. mario tells me jack," ruby shrugged as jamal began to laugh.

"what about the time he said angelica has a dangler?" jamal inquired making both monse and esperanza stifle a laugh.

"but he said that," jamal began.

"in private!" ruby cut him off, "time and place dude."

taking in the sight of the dancing teens, esperanza felt cesar pull her closer to him, by putting his arm around her shoulders.

"oh, guys, check out huerita at nine o'clock," ruby claimed, nodding his head a bit to the girl he was talking about.

"monse, if you were a girl–" ruby started before getting cut off by both girls.

"she is a girl," esperanza said as monse claimed "i am a girl."

ruby continued, "yeah, but if you were a girl like that, would you wear underwear?" making monse roll her eyes and esperanza lightly hit the boy in his arm.