CATORCE

minutes had become hours and hours had become days, only for those days to turn to weeks.

within those weeks, cesar and olivia had become extremely friendly with each other. both ruby and esperanza were left by themselves, wondering what they could have done differently.

one day, however, esperanza had found a new color to her world of darkness she had been living in. day by day, she got closer to an amigo of hers – benny. although the two teens knew each other since kindergarten, the pair never had feeling for the other – that is, until recently.

esperanza and benny had found themselves going on 'dates' every now and then. they would do couple-y things, like holding hands, flirting, and even stealing a couple of kisses when the time was right.

one night, espy invited benny into her house, thanking him for the day they spent together. embracing esperanza, benny has felt a ping in his chest. finally letting go, he had moved a fallen stran of hair behind her ear, before he closed the space between himself and esperanza. with hesitation, esperanza kissed the boy back, not sure what she was doing, but she liked it.

once and a while, monse, olivia, and esperanza would have a girls day, which consisted of face mask and any other girly thing monse would let the two latinas do.

when the squad would hang out, ruby, monse, and espy would keep to each other, while cesar and olivia would act lovey-dovey.

the gang usually would meet up at ruby's house after they spent time with their families on thanksgiving – which is the one day that she sees her mother, sister, and brother.

before walking to ruby's house, esperanza had met up with monse, as the two walked to the martinez house, talking about whatever was brought up.

through the commotion from the teens, jamal asked, "wait, where's mario? i was hoping to see him."

"he went with his new bougie girlfriend to nevada," ruby said, messing with the comida on his plate.

"instead of coming home?" monse asked, looking at the boy.

"he's in the bone zone," both esperanza and cesar said at the same time. glancing at the boy, espy looked down at her tres leches and ate a piece before anything else was said.

"true," everyone said, ignoring the fact that the two 'ex'-lovers spoke at once.

"can you pass the tres leches?" olivia said, from her spot on cesar's lap. honestly, esperanza never noticed that olivia's spanish was off, until now.

feeling her phone buzz, esperanza took it out as olivia continued to talk.

"my mom makes the best tres leches for my birthday," olivia said.

benny
hey, babe.
can you talk rn?

esperanza
no, lo siento.
i'll text you later. ❤️

zoning back into the conversation, she heard ruby ask, "wait, your quince is in a week? and you didn't tell us,"

"mom, dad, olivia's quince is in a week!" ruby said, turning to where his dad sat.