DIECISÉIS

it had felt like days since latrelle had put a green light on cesar and esperanza – yet it had only happened hours before she arrived at the santos hangout.

the incident had made esperanza a ball of anxiety, and seeing the post on instagram wasn't helping her cause – it only worsened her state. espy wasn't sure how word got around so quickly, but she didn't care. she was just glad to know that she would be taken care of.

it was now monday, and esperanza couldn't bring herself to move from the bed that she laid in for hours, tossing and turning before she finally slept.

"hermanita," a voice spoke from the other side of the closed door, "can i come in, por favor?"

"yeah," was all espy let out, before sitting up and holding her knees to her chest.

the door opened to reveal her older brother, derek. his once unmarked arms were now inked with intricate designs, and even some roman numerals here and there.

"how are you feeling?"

"like shit,"

"i know i'm not around that much, pero quiero que sepas que no iré a ningún lado por un tiempo,"

without saying a word, esperanza embraced her brother in a tight hug, which he returned without hesitation. her eyes slowly became cloudy, before she squeaked out, " no quiero ir a la escuela,"

"mama is gonna hate me for saying this, but who gives a damn – no tienes que ir," derek spoke softly.

the moment the siblings shared was cut short by a knocking on the door. releasing esperanza from his grasp, derek let her go and looked at the door, seeing a less anxious cesar.

derek gave the boy a squeeze on the shoulder as he walked past to leave the spare bedroom that his youngest sister was in.

"hey," cesar said, slowly walking into the room.

"hey," esperanza replied, giving cesar a tight lipped smile.

"i'm sorry. about this whole thing," he claimed, sitting in the bed across from espy.

"don't apologize, if it didn't happen now, it would've happened later,"

"no, esperanza! i put you in danger –"

"cesar, i was in danger from the moment i was born. can we just drop it, please?"

"okay. okay. i'm going to school today. so, i'll see you later?"

"of course. i can't really go anywhere," esperanza said, before cesar got up and started to make his way to the door.

you let him go, esperanza thought, and look at where you are.

not knowing what to do with herself, esperanza pulled a piece of paper out of her backpack and began to doodle whatever came to mind.

almost half an hour later, she had finished her drawing. satisfied with her work, esperanza smiled at what her hands had done. a rose that bloomed, yet transformed into a skull.