The Southern Air Temple

Aya's POV

Heading to the North Pole will take a while, so Aang decided to make a few stops before we get to our destination. The Southern Air Temple. Aang was excited to go see it again, but it's been a century since we last saw it and I'm going to guess a lot has changed over time.

We camped out on a small beach for the night before heading there. Sokka was still asleep, as always. He is always the last one to wake up.

"Wait till you see it, Aya and Katara. The Air Temple is one of the most beautiful places in the world." Aang praised, wrapping the reigns around Appa's horns.

Katara and I shared a look before she spoke to him.

"Aang I know you're excited but it's been a hundred years since you've been home."

"That's why I'm so excited!" His face lit up with joy.

"A lot can change in that time," I added, leaning on the saddle.

"I know but I need to see it for myself." Aang hopped off Appa and gracefully floated to the ground.

He walked up to Sokka's sleeping body to wake him up.

"Wake up, Sokka! Air Temple, here we come!" Aang exclaimed.

Sokka groaned and turned over. "Sleep now. Temple later."

Aang had an idea. He picked up a twig he found on the ground.

"Sokka! Wake up! There's a prickle snake in your sleeping bag!" Aang warned, rubbing the twig over Sokka's sleeping bag.

Sokka yelled and hopped around, frantically. "GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!" He landed on his stomach and grunted.

Katara and I laughed.

"Great! You're awake, let's go!" Aang suggested.

----

I don't think I will ever get over the fact that I'm on a flying bison. These creatures are amazing.

We were on our way to the Air Temple and I sat up front with Aang, while my siblings stayed on the saddle.

"Hey! Who ate all my blubbed seal jerky?" Sokka asked from behind us. Aang glanced back at him, with a face of guilt. "I used it to start the campfire last night."

"You what?" Sokka exclaimed in disbelief, then sighed. "No wonder the flame smelled so good."

We ascended toward a series of mountains.

"The Patola Mountain Range! We're almost there!" Aang exclaimed excitedly.

"Aang, before we get to the temple, I want to talk to you about the airbenders," I began, pulling on the hem of my sleeve, nervously.

"What about them?" Aang asked

I took a deep breathed before explaining

"Well, I just want you to be prepared for what you might see." I averted her eyes from him. "The Fire Nation is ruthless, they killed my mother. They could've done the same to your people."

"Just because no one has seen an Airbender doesn't mean the fire nation killed them all." Aang pointed out, glancing at me. "They probably escaped."

"Aang, I know it's hard to except." I placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You don't understand, Aya. The only way to get to an Air Temple is on a flying bison and I doubt the Fire Nation has any flying bison." Aang assured me before petting Appa. "Right, Appa?"

Appa growled in response.

"Yip-Yip!"

Appa sped up and passed through the mountains. Wind blasted in my face, making me shut my eyes.