Chapter 1

I woke up in a cage, being rocked from side to side by the potholes in the little dirt road. I was still in the revealing dress I had been forced in yesterday evening. Not wasting any time, I shifted, feeling my bones shrink and grow and morph to fit the size of a wolf. I slipped out of the skimpy clothing and laid down, resting my head on my paws as I attentively assessed my surroundings.

I was at the top of one of the stacks of cages that were neatly piled and strapped together and to the sides of the truck. I could count five towers of six cages, meaning that thirty of the females of the Pack were going to start their first heat tonight at midnight when the full moon would be at its peak. I was amongst them.

Then I observed my cage until I found a little padlock just outside. Of course there was no key, but the mechanism was easily breakable. I judged the distance from the bottom then threw myself against the silver-laced bars of my prison. It didn't burn me, thanks to the thick layer of gray and white fur protecting me, but the shock did hurt and the poison made my skin prickle uncomfortably. Nevertheless, I threw myself to the front again until the cage tipped forward slightly. It rocked uncertainly for a second before falling down. The metal clanged and this time I got slightly burned by the silver. When the cage rolled to a stop, I was bruised everywhere and had woken up over half the females present. I nudged the door open with my shoulder and was elated to discover that it only offered a light resistance before swiveling on it's hinges. I bounded out and started looking for an escape route. I was stalking back and forth in the truck's merchandise area when it suddenly jerked to an abrupt stop. I starting panicking and whined slightly.

The unloading door opened and I tried to make a dash to outside.

"Clay! The female!" was shouted as I was about to cross the threshold and the male reacted at the speed of light, grabbing me around the waist.

I thrashed and managed to sink my teeth in his shoulder. He cried out in pain and slapped me harshly across the muzzle. I recoiled and snarled.

"Quick! Jack, prepare a cage to put her in! She's trying to bite my head off!" grunted the male holding me, the presumed 'Clay'.

I struggled harder and he held me tighter, almost knocking the breath out of me. I growled and snapped at his face. Sadly I was so taken up by the need to escape that I didn't notice him slip a hand in his pocket and withdraw it with a needle full of an opaque white liquid. Too late I saw it plunging in my neck as my head was forced to the side. The sharp end penetrating through the skin and muscle into an artery was felt all too well as my imminent heat accentuated every little sensation.

I went limp in the male's arms, though my mind was fighting with every last ounce of strength until darkness invaded my vision and I lost consciousness.

•••

I woke up just as the sun set. In front of me I could see the silver eye of the moon rising in the rapidly darkening sky. An aura of mystery floated around it, and I could already feel an uncomfortable heat spreading from my abdomen. When midnight came, it would explode in blistering pain for an hour, an hour during which the females would run and hide before the males were set loose.

Right now though, the males were standing outside our cages, leering at us. Some of them were already aroused at even the faintest scent of our heat. By now, most females had shifted— one of the few rules of the Heat was that all Wolves were to shift before the start, and were not aloud to shift back until the end, even if they claimed a mate. Not many Wolves respected the rule.

They examined us, looking for the one who they could take the most pleasure in breaking. Many just passed my cage because all I did was growl and snarl occasionally when they came too close. I paced my cage like a mad lion the rest of the time, instead of throwing myself against the bars like most did.

But my ruse did nothing when my golden stare caught the silver one of a tall, handsome male with messy dirty blond hair. He was observing me attentively, his arms crossed over his broad chest. I caught his quicksilver eyes and something inside me clicked. A look of recognition passed fleetingly across his face before a small smirk painted itself on his rosy lips. I bared my teeth at him and he took it as an invitation. He walked long, steady strides to my cage. When he was right in front of me, he spoke.

"Hello, Little Wolf."

His voice was deep and gravelly.

I laid down on the ground and put my head on my front paws.

"Aww, don't look so bored with me already. I'm a nice guy! I'm probably the only male here who doesn't want to find a mate."

I blinked slowly and my eyes glazed over, though my ears were completely focused on him after what he'd said.

"You won't fool me with that look, Little Wolf. I'm a rogue."

I dilated my nostrils to sniff the air slightly, aware that he was watching me. Indeed, under the pine and forest fire scent that was unique to him, a smell of underbrush and musk and something I could only describe as wild floated. It reminded me of real wolves and hunts and feasts of raw meat.

I shifted uncomfortably on the ground, my oncoming heat making me nervous as it steadily grew.

Silvereyes raised his nose and sniffed.

"It's almost midnight. Your scent is fading, replaced by that extremely appealing smell of your heat," he looked at me. "But do not worry, Little Wolf. I would never claim you against your will or during your heat when you are not in full control."

This time I visibly sniffed the air for any sort of lie, and found none. I didn't react anymore.

•••

It was when the heat blooming from my abdomen became near unbearable that the countdown to midnight started. A male was standing on top of my cage, ready to lift the door up when the moon was at its highest point.

As one, the males started counting. There were five seconds left.

Five.

I got up, gaze trained on the forest covered mountains before me. Right now I just needed to concentrate on getting to the first trees.

Four.

Gradually, the males and females tensed as the heat became intense. It shot from my lower abdomen and spread like wildfire over my whole body.

Three.

I coiled my muscles, getting ready to run despite the intense ache.

Two.

The peak of my heat was approaching, as was my time to run. I whimpered slightly at the pain.

One.

The door of my cage opened in one movement and I surged forward, at the same time as an intense agony.

The Heat had begun.

A/N) So here it is, my Lemurs! The Heat has begun!
As always, vomment (vote x comment) and follow, my favorite thing on Wattpad is the number of notifications. Knowing that people care about what I comment and read, vote and comment my stories just makes me really happy. It warms my heart and makes me do a happy dance.

-LexieTheLemur

P.S: Yes, the author on the cover is GohstWhisper because that was my previous username. If you want to make me a new cover, you're welcome to.