Chapter 24

The warm rays of the golden Sun warmed my sandy black pelt as we finally emerged from the underground facility. Granted, it was still cold—winter had not yet released her frozen grasp over the Wulf Fang Mountains, but clear days were always warmer. Plus, the green smell of spring was fast approaching. Soon, winter would retreat in her snowy den.

Around me, the females rolled on the ground in abandon, until a sharp growl on my part made then stop.

We are just outside their facilities, it's not safe. We need to leave.

Instantly, they got up and shook the snowflakes from their fur. Maybell, however, stayed where she was and raised her snout in the air. I sighed, feeling an unavoidable resistance.

What, Maybell? I growled, more than slightly irritated.

Let them rest. We're out of there, we're safe.

If I hadn't been focusing on her, I would most likely have missed the shadow, but, as it slinked in the corner of my vision—on the left of course, because my right eye was a blur of grays—I had no doubt. It was a Feral, or more precisely the one that had hurt Fenris. He was now right behind Maybell, and if he leapt, he'd be on her.

I could have let him kill her, and then kill him, but patience had never been my forte. And so, as he crouched low to the ground, I pounced. In a single leap, I knocked him out of the air. He fell on his back, and I heard a sickening crunch as he cried out in pain. I could tear through his throat and let him bleed out slowly, or I could quickly snap his neck. I chose the latter and I watched as the light slowly left his eyes.

I had just killed a Wolf in cold blood. He wasn't even going to attack me. He would have killed someone that meant nothing to me at all. I'd protected Maybell.

    Suddenly, a searing pain fired through my back and I crumpled on the ground under the weight of a bigger wolf. It wasn't the size that tipped me off—any wolf was bigger than me—but the distinct, sickly sweet smell, that reminded me of poison, or roses left in the heat too long and were now rotten. Maybell had just turned on me.

     In a split second, I rolled on my back, crushing her under me and banging her against the frozen ground. She whimpered and I took advantage of her momentarily stunned brain to unwind my body from her death grip. A second later we were both back on our feet, circling each other, growling.

     Then, there was a spurt of blood, like rose petals falling from the flower, and Maybell lay on the ground, dead, her amber eyes staring into emptiness, because they could see no more. Above her, standing tall and proud, was Eclipse. Her silvery gray pelt shimmered in the Sun's light as she glared down at Maybell's lifeless corpse.

You don't attack my Alpha. She is powerful, and she has powerful allies.

     I saw the females take a few steps back from her, and heartbreak flashed across the deep amber eyes. I crept up to her and rubbed my cheek against hers and nipped at her in a show of affection.

We must be on our way. It is not safe here.

     Without a sound of protest, the females crowded around me.

Who here, is Northern?

     Around a quarter of the females perked up, and I addressed them.

You will take turns at the front to clear a path for the rest of us to walk in. You are naturally adapted to these conditions and should be able to go on.

They nodded and we were off.

•••

Days. It had been days since we'd first started away from the underground facility. In half a week, the Heat would be over. I could go back to my old Pack, win the deal and be the shame of my father, or I could trek to the East Clan and reclaim my rightful position as Alpha of the East.

    However, I had stuff to do before fulfilling any of these options.

     That was how I found myself one cold, early morning standing over Eclipse and Sahara. I nudged them gently awake, calling their name through our link. Eclipse blinked her eyes open and Sahara soon followed.

What? came the inevitable question, and I recognized the mind-voice as Sahara's.

I'm leaving.

    Hurt flashed across both their faces, though less noticeable on Eclipse's silver gray one.

Why?

I have loose ends to tie up, closures I need to find, before I can come back to you. I trust you to keep these females safe. Teach them how to fight, how to hunt, how to kill.

When will you come back? this time it was Eclipse.

I don't know Eclipse. It might be weeks, it might be years for all I know, I linked, lowering my head.

Goodbye, Alpha. Stay safe. May you be downwind and have the stream run next to you.

Good luck Eclipse, Sahara. I trust you.

     And then I turned around and was on my way. The snow still reached my chest as I leapt easily through it, saving my strength.

     I would need it in order to find Fenris.

A/N) And here is Chap 24!! They are finally free!!! Yay!! And Cassie is going to go find Fenris!! Yay!!!
This morning was as much fun as it was hellish. I rode Savane, a purebred sport pony so she's friskier than other horses. When it's cold, the horses are super frisky and hot and Savane is easily spooked by sudden noises. You can imagine how the lesson went 😂😂
BUT I didn't fall!!
Vote, comment, share
- Lexie

How old do you think I am?

I know how old I am 😉