Chapter 2

Xingfu started tearing up. Whenever he walked down the mountain path, he can not help but recalling the dreadful memories that haunted him over and over again. His mother died 3 years after they had settled down on the mountain. If she had not been trying so hard to cure his eye without thinking of her own well-being, she would not have died so early.

He swiftly wiped the tear that threaten to fall down with his sleeve and swallowed the lump in his throat. It has been 10 years already since his mother passed away but the pain and remorse in his heart have not eased in the tiny bit.

Xingfu shook his head and masked his face with a bright cheerful smile. He promised his mother in heaven to live well even without her so that his mother can rest in peace without worrying about her only son in the after life.

While he was engrossed in recalling the route to the medicine shop, he did not even realize that he has already arrived at the border of the capital. This was not the first time Xingfu had journeyed down the mountain. From time to time, he went to the capital city to sell the herbs that he found on the mountain. He has quite a bit of knowledge about herbs and medicine since his mother was a doctor. As a result, He could easily sell it at a very high price since the herbs were extremely rare and can only be found deep in the mountain. This time was also no different. After selling the last batch of herb, a big satisfied grin flashed over his face.

He did not even notice that the sun has already retired for the day. His fine brows started to furrow together. His expression went from beaming to distress in a minute. Calculating the time, he might not be able to make it through the forest before nightfall. Xingfu did not want to venture into the forest alone at night. The risk that he will encounter wild animals and bandits are too high. Pondering over what he should do, in the end he decided to find a place to stay for the night and resumed his journey back to the mountain when sunrise.

After walking around the city for some time, Xingfu started to feel more and more anxious. Since Zhao is the capital of the great Jinsheng, every inn he came across was all so luxurious and prestige. Considering the fact that he spent most of his money on the supplies and necessities he purchased this afternoon, Xingfu worried he might not be able to afford such places.

When his hope grew less and less, he eventually found an old and shabby inn located quite far away from the buzzing road. His hope has gone up again. He almost jumped in excitement upon discovering the inn. He took a step inside and cast his eyes around surveying the place. Xingfu was awestruck. The contrast between the inside and outside was like heaven and earth. While the outside might look shabby and unwelcoming, in contrast, inside the inn was decorated with colorful lanterns. A few rows of fine wooden table can be seen lining up perfectly in front of a big stage. Some waiters and waitresses were busily running around preparing the tables and decorating the stage. They didn't seem to notice him at all.

Upon seeing how majestic and grand the place actually was, Xingfu did not think he can afford to stay the night here. When he was about to make his way out, a middle age woman who seemed to be the owner of the inn came down from the second floor of the inn and shouted, "Young master please wait!"

Xingfu was startled. He abruptly turned around,"Er...Are you calling me?? "

The woman replied with a smile,"Yes I was calling you, Young master. Do you come here to spend the night?"

Xingfu waved both his hands and explained,"I am indeed looking for a place to rest but I don't think I can afford such an expensive looking place."

The woman gave Xingfu a reassuring smile and said,"Young master do not have to worry about that. Our place is just a normal inn. It is just that today is special day. We are celebrating our 10 year anniversary in this business."

Xingfu,"Then...I will-"

She cut him off ," Since young master has come all the way here and it has already gotten so dark outside, how can i make young master go back empty handed. I will prepare a room for you. Aiiya don't worry, It does not cost much. Also dinner is on the house today."

Xingfu was hesitant to accept her offer. Even though he lived on the mountain and did not have much interaction with other people, he is not completely oblivious to human nature and greed.

How can she treat him with such formality and politeness when he was wearing tattered and shabby clothes? His image right now was way too far from 'Young master'.

Seeing that Xingfu was hesitant she explained,"Lately, there are rumors roaming around this area saying that there is a murderer going around slaughtering people at night. Young master must be a traveler that is why you have not heard of this. I am just worry about young master's safety. "

Xingfu was still not fully convinced although her reason really did make sense. But in the end he still reluctantly accepted her offer since he was really exhausted. He has been walking around since morning. Now all he yearned for was to lied down on the bed and wandered off to dreamland.

The woman led him to a room on the second floor that laid at the very end of the corridor. The room was quite spacious. It consisted of a bed, living room and a bathroom.

"I will ask someone to prepare the bath for you. Is there anything else that you need?", the woman asked.

Xingfu replied,"Can I have a set of clean clothes?"

Suddenly, his stomach started to growl. He awkwardly looking around the room tried to avoid the woman's eyes. The fact is he has not had anything decent to eat after the meat bun he had for lunch. So embarrassing.

The woman chuckled and added,"Understood. The food and clothes will be brought up soon."

She then retreated outside the room and gently closed the door. After the door was properly closed, the friendly and kind smile that masked her face a moment ago has completely disappeared. On the contrary, a vicious grin came into view.

While making her way back down stair, she muttered to herself, "What a beautiful and seductive youth. I came across a rare good."

Will update in another week.
19/10/2018