Chapter 13: Lies

My feet lightly thumped on the ground as I dashed away from the skatepark. I wanted to put as much space between them and me. I was as quick and agile as a fox. I darted between trees and people. All those years of jogging really helps. I don't know where I was running to; I didn't know anything to be honest. I wasn't thinking. Only one thought kept hammering in my head: run.

I don't know what made me stop. Maybe it was the fact that my throat was dry and sore. Maybe it was because my feet started hurting. Maybe it was because my chest was burning. But whatever the reason, eventually I stopped sprinting. I slowed to a halt, and looked around. I had reached the main part of town. A small cafe was a few buildings away and I started walking towards it. I took deep, long breaths to slow down my beating heart. I refused to think about what just happened. Right now I just wanted tea and something sweet.

I walked into the quaint, quiet cafe. It was exactly what I needed. Somewhere to relax. I looked over the shelves with all the muffins, tarts, doughnuts, cakes, and so on. My eyes caught sight of a beautiful blueberry muffin. So that's exactly what I ordered.

"Can I please have one cup of black tea with one blueberry muffin, please?" I said to the person behind the counter.

"Izzy! Hey!" he said. I looked up. Sure enough, it was Brian taking my order.

"Oh, hi." I smiled. "I didn't know you worked here."

"Yeah, well, welcome to my workplace." he laughed.

"It's nice." I said. He nodded his head on agreement.

"Anyways, here's your muffin and tea." he said, handing it over. "Do you mind if I sit with you? My shift ends right about.... Now." he said, checking his watch. "We haven't talked in a while."

"Sure." I smiled. I handed him the money and he quickly gave me the corresponding change. He came out from behind the counter and walked with me to a free table.

"How's your day been?" he asked. A pang went through my chest.

"It's been good." Lies. Complete and utter lies. "I've been hanging out with Carly most of the day."

"Oh, cool. I'm seeing her tomorrow. What are you doing for halloween?"

"I'm staying in my room I think. My older brother's having a party, and he doesn't really want me getting involved."

There was a small silence after that, at which I took the time to eat half of my muffin. A blueberry muffin. I made blueberry muffins with Andrew at Maxwell's house. The painful memory was soon cut short when Brian spoke up.

"So, you don't have a boyfriend, do you?"

I was a bit surprised by his question.

"It's just that Carly says that I should introduce you to my friends."

I laughed at that. "She actually asked you? I thought she was joking! She wants me to get a new boyfriend so we can go on double dates." I explained.

"Oh. She's crazy." he chuckled.

We continued talking for quite a while, until I felt my phone vibrate, alerting me that I have a new message.

"Well, anyways, I should probably get going. It was nice catching up with you." Brian said, standing up. I followed.

"Yeah, for sure. Have a good halloween." I smiled. Brian quickly leaned in for a hug. I was caught a bit off guard, but wrapped my arms around him quickly nonetheless.

"Bye Iz." he said as he left through the door. I quickly left the cafe after him and walked down the street towards my house. Talking with Brian made me forget about my problem at hand, even for just a few minutes. I took out my phone to check the text I got. It was from Carly.

Carly: If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here

Carly: Unless that happens to be 2am. Then I'd rather sleep ;)

I smiled at her two messages and locked my phone. I didn't really want to talk about it now. I didn't want to talk about how three boys that I thought I knew, that I thought were my friends, lied to me. For all I know they lied about everything. How could they do that? How could they pretend to be something they're not? How could they just become different people? How could they lie to me? Call me their friend? And most of all; why?

------------------------------

Vote, Comment, Follow :)