Realization

You never felt so happy right now. You are here after school talking to one of your favorite characters. Besides, it's not every day you get to hold an actual conversation with a fictional character.

"So, how was school today?" The text asked,

"Busy." You typed, "As mentioned earlier, I did work all day."

"You must be tired." The text said,

"Kind of, but it's worth it." You typed, "I can spend the rest of the day with you."

"..." The text was silent, "...You worked just for me?"

"Of course!" You typed back, "So I get to spend the rest of the day with you."

You scratched the back of your neck, you felt like you're repeating yourself.

"...You know, MC." The text came up, "...Why is your camera covered up?"

"Paranoia I guess..." You texted back, "My brother keeps telling me scary stories about the internet, so I ended up covering the camera."

"...You think the internet is scary?"

"Well, kind of."

"So you think I am scary?" Monika asked,

"What!" You typed immediately, "No!! No no you're not scary Monika! Since when!"

"You don't think I'm scary?"

"No! Not at all!"

"...Then uncover the camera."

That sent down chills. There could be a possibility that this could be a predator hacking into the game.

"....Uhm..."

"Oops." The text came in, "Did I make you feel uncomfortable?"

"Kind of..." You shifted uncomfortably.

"Did I scare you?"

"Kind of."

"What is it about the internet you're scared of?"

"It's more of the people that control it." You typed, "As I said earlier, my brother scared me with stories of weirdos creeping on the internet."

"So he scared you?"

"In a way, yeah. He told me the stories when I got this laptop." You texted, "He does that a lot."

"Scaring you?"

"Yeah." You no longer typed. "...He always does, school or home." You spoke softly.

"...." The text had no response. "...That's kind of sad."

"Haha, I agree." You reverted back to texting, "...So, how can you talk to me?"

"Come again?"

"How can you hold an actual conversation?" You typed. You noticed the smile on Monika's face faded a little,

"...In all honesty, I don't know myself," The text started, "I ended up getting self-aware that I was in a game...that it's all fake...so then I took charge."

"...you took over the game?" You asked,

"...You can put it that way." The text replied, "I took charge, I wanted a change for once. So you can call me the admin of the game."

Wow. This excited you. There is a character who is self-aware, and actually did something about it? This is one smart character.

"...You're smart." You texted without realizing it. Your heart sank when those 2 words vanished and got into the system.

"Oh..." The smile on Monika's face lightened up again, "Thank you..."

"You're welcome!" You typed immediately. This got you pumped up. You wanted to ask more, but you couldn't figure out what to ask. This is all new to you. You felt like you made a new discovery, one that the world can't achieve.

"So, are you always home alone with your brother?" The text asked,

"Well, kind of." You texted, "My parents work all day, so they don't come home until late at night, especially now."

"They haven't been home earlier than usual?"

"Yeah. Maybe they have to do more."

"....Maybe so."

"You thinking they are planning something?" You asked a bit concerned.

"...In a way, but nevermind that." The text came in. You raised an eyebrow and didn't type anything. It seemed Monika noticed, because 3 dots came in.

"...You okay?"

"Oh, sorry I was thinking too." You typed,

"About?"

"...How amazing this is." You weren't lying there.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I mean, I am talking to a really cute – I mean smartcharacter I MEAN SMART!" Your face turned red at this remark. You saw Monika's face changed, she looked a little taken aback at this.

"...MC." The text came up. Then her surprised look went back to her smile she gave earlier, "...haha, okay." She appeared to be fine with your small 'mistake'. You covered your face and silently screamed. Wow, you slipped just a little and you regret it in a way. Your eye glanced at the screen,

"it's okay to slip up some times, MC." The text came up, "besides, you said earlier you wanted to reach me, right?"

You froze, you did say that to her last night.

"Speaking of that, I wanted to tell you something" The text came up

"Sure, what is it?"

"...Since you opened the app, I realized something." The text came up. You saw Monika's smile grow a little.

".....I realized that I love you." The text said calmly.

You froze and stared at the text. Oh my goodness...